5.4

A bright flash was shining towards Dwain's face as he was sitting on a counter of the minimart they are currently looting. It was Brenan who was pointing a flashlight towards his eyes, checking in upon him from their crash earlier. 

"Well, pupils are equal and reactive…" the paramedic utters, before turning off the flashlight and giving it back to Dwain. The flashlight was owned by him due to his former profession. 

"I'm telling you, I'm fine." Dwain persisted. 

"Nope, just because we're on the brink of human extinction, doesn't mean I ain't gonna fixin' to give my past job some sense no more," Brenan replied. 

The athletic male insisted that he was feeling all well. But Brenan proceeds to check the male's overall condition anyway, while the others are already working on looting the convenience store. 

Only one lightning speed shot, and the spitter was taken down instantly. Metallic clicks tolled from Cody's CheyTac as she sprung its bolt back and forth, followed by the clangs of a bullet case after being ejected. 

A pair of zombies next appeared right on the road across their place. They were far enough for Cody to think about a little tactic. 

The female soldier saw a way that she could save a bullet with this one. Those zombies were running in a line form, but they were not that steady. 

Cody peeked through the scope and controlled her breaths as she watched that feral pair. 

They are getting closer to the store as seconds pass. Yet, she was still waiting for the right chance for her shot. 

She kept her crosshairs locked at the leading zombie and observed the second one at the same time. 

Her sight is tightly fixed towards the zombies' heads. Until those became parallel. 

And in just a millisecond, Cody was certain, and gently squeezed the trigger. 

The zombies she was aiming at both toppled on the ground simultaneously as the bullet dug through their heads at the same time, it was a piercing shot. 

In the meantime, the rest of the team was in the middle of their looting when Holly noticed something in their surroundings. 

A soft rustle came out from nowhere, it was easily heard due to the suboptimal silence of the place despite the noises they were making while gathering the left supplies. 

The female agent called everyone's attention and shushed them. They constantly ceased their movements to make a placid space in order to give way for the clatter which Holly was hoping to hear again.

But few more moments passed, the sound never came back.

"What?" just a second of waiting, Walter whispered. 

"I knew I heard something," Holly insisted. She then made a few steps towards the doorway. 

Even so, the woman was certain about that noise. She pulled out her flashlight while other hand held her holstered pistol as she tried to reconcile the sound's origin. 

"Dwain," Walter called on to the man, nodded his head, implying an order to come with Holly in checking upon the noise. 

The athletic male wrapped his grips around his rifle and willfully followed Holly towards the doorway where she thought where the sound came from. 

Holly pulled out her gun next and led their way inside. They rolled up into a short and narrow hall. 

Fairly, it was much cleaner and at the same time darker than the store as the lights were off, but thanks to their flashlights they were somewhat able to illuminate their way.