Angel Oak

Chapter Fourty Two- Angel Oak

"Guys we're coming up to freemans church" pope drew the attention of the pogues packed inside the Twinkie to outside the window as they drove through woodland. The only building in sight being an old white church, slightly dilapidated, but still standing non the less "this is the church denmark Tanny built for all the slaves he freed"

They continued down dirt tracks as the sun began to set. Harley sat comfortably next to JJ, holding his hand and using two of her fingers to spin the silver ring round his own finger. She couldn't stop thinking about the word he used. 'Girlfriend'. She began assembling a list in her mind of all the possibilities of what he could have possibly meant by it.

1. He wanted Harley to be his girlfriend, he just wasn't sure how to ask
2. It had been a slip of the tongue and now it's all he could think about because he didn't meant to say it and he wished he never said it.
3. He didn't even notice he said it, and hasn't thought about it since.

She considered that number three was the most realistic answer, thought she really hoped it was number one.

"Guys there it is, angel oak" Harley was broken from her trail of overthinking by Kie, as she pointed above the tree line to one standing taller than the others in the distance.

John B continued driving as the road got narrower, and the sun hung lower in the sky.

"Oh shit, tides coming in" John B sighed, as the track in front was muddy, so thick that Harley wasn't sure that the Twinkie, in its run down state, would make it through without getting stuck. The mud had sunk into the ground slightly, and the holes it had left were filled water.

"Hold on a minute look" pope pointed ahead "they've already come through here. Those have to be Limbreys tire tracks" as they got closer, Harley realised the dips in the mud were actually made my tires, those of a big car that would pass through the mud with no problems.

"Guys we gotta go" pope encouraged.

"Hmm. What do you think chief?" JJ asked John B as he stuck his head out the window to look at the road ahead.

"I'm thinking it looks a little dicey" John B hesitated as the car came to a halt.

"Yeah I'm gonna have to agree with that" Harley said, following JJs actions and sticking her head out the window.

"We'll surely they made it through, no?" Kie asked.

"In a two wheel drive? I don't know about that" JJ pointed out.

"Why are y'all acting like you're not gonna do it anyway?" Sarah asked with a grin on her face as she looked around at the others "like when have y'all ever done the safe thing?" She asked them all from the passenger seat.

"She's got a point" John B shrugged at JJ.

"Alright speed is your friend here" JJ began instructing "so put her down in second and hammer down brother" he said, securing his arm across Harley's chest to hold her in her seat.

"Stick to the high ground in the middle John B" pope added.

"Alright ready?" John B asked, preparing himself and the car.

John B restarted the engine, and began driving at a steady and consistent pace through the other set of tire tracks.

"Come on bro push it! Speed is your friend! Speed is your friend!" JJ encouraged, without removing his arm from across Harley.

"You're not going fast enough!" Harley called to him.

"I'm in second!" John B responded without taking his eyes off the road.