Watch it Burn

Chapter Thirty Eight- Watch it Burn

Harley hauled herself up on top of the crates outside Heywards shop and cracked open a beer as John B slapped pope on the back.

"I still can't believe you're related to Denmark Tanny!" He said excitedly and pope grinned to himself.

"Uh huh" JJ added, just as excited.

"Are we in the presence of a royal?" Harley asked sarcastically with a smirk as she took another sip of beer.

"A king! We shall crown him!" JJ mimicked a posh British accent, placing an imaginary crown on top of popes head "all hail Lord of Tannyhill!"

"We're not worthy!" John B joined in mimicking the voice as the group began worshiping him, laughing.

"Alright everybody relax! Relax!" Pope begged, but it was obvious by his smirk he was enjoying it.

"Relocate to cats ass, question mark?" Sarah suggested.

"I'm good with that"

"How soon can we move in?" Kie asked, jumping down from her position on the crates next to Harley.

"Yeah Cus I don't have a place to stay" JJ agreed.

"Me either! Bunk beds?" She suggested.

"Bunk beds" JJ clunked their cans of beer together, and Harley noticed pope deep in thought.

"You okay?" Harley asked him, and suddenly everyone turned to look at pope.

"I just keep thinking about the letter. The one that Limbrey sent. It had the wheat symbol on it. That must mean it has something to do with the royal merchant" he said and Harley nodded, she'd been thinking it for a while.

"Yeah something seems fishy" JJ agreed.

"But if we find that cross? We can split it like we were gonna split the gold!" Pope said.

"If you're good with that" Harley shrugged.

"And live happily ever after?" A voice Harley didn't recognise made all their heads turn. It was sickly sweet, so sweet it couldn't be genuine, and it brought Harley's attention to an older woman, possibly in her late sixties, using crutches to walk.

Her appearance stunk of wealth, evidence of that hung around her neck in the form of pearls. Her hair was blonde, though Harley knew it was most likely bleached from the few stray greys, and the make up on her face was thick, and Harley sensed under it, she was a lot more unwell than she was willing to show. Behind her, her guard dog, someone Harley had met before, and so she came to the general conclusion the woman was no other than Limbrey herself.

Harley hopped down off the crates and immediately walked to popes side, and JJ joined hers.

"You assaulted my Father" pope said through gritted teeth, suddenly angry as he approached the woman. The man they'd been chased by in Charleston pushed him back, and Harley gripped his arm tightly.

"Oh I didn't assault anybody" Limbrey said, keeping her voice calm, like she was an innocent victim in all of it.

"He can spot a psycho from a mile away" kie spoke up.

"Why would my employee assault anyone?" She asked, and Harley scoffed.

"Why would your employee attempt to taser Pope back in Charleston?" Harley asked, and JJ reached out and squeezed her arm gently, warning her to think carefully before she spoke. They knew what these people were capable of, and getting even further onto their bad side was probably not the best idea.