Love is the Worst

Chapter Thirty Three- Love is the Worst

The car journey wasn't long until the ferry. They parked up, and sat in the trailer of the truck, enjoying the last few doses of sun as it set behind them, and having space from squashing the four of them into the three seats in Heywards truck.

"My parents are so paranoid about me being a pogue, like it's the worst thing that could ever happen" Kie groaned. She'd been complaining almost all the way to the ferry, but non of the others complained.

"Hey! I hear they've got a good weed at boarding school though" JJ tried remaining positive, as he sat on top of the roof, rolling a joint.

"I'm not going to boarding school. They're gonna have to kidnap me. Tie me up and throw me in a van" kie shrugged, like it was simple.

"Well, I say, we just crumble some herb right now" JJ shrugged and hopped down off the roof, handing the freshly rolled joint to Kie and sitting down next to Harley inside the trailer.

All she wanted was to show him some kind of affection, lean on his shoulder, hold his hand, but she was terrified he would pull away, so she stayed sat still, her hands in her lap.

"Hey Harley, have you tried hitting John B back on that number yet?" Pope asked, as he leaned on the edge of the trailer.

"Like twenty million times" Harley sighed.

"That's quite a few times" JJ commented.

"Some random lady at a hotel keeps answering" she told them, and held her hand out to Kie for the joint. She passed it over and Harley inhaled.

"Well until we hear from them again, we gotta try and clear his name" pope said "and right now this letters our best bet"

"Right. Stay on task" JJ nodded, plucking the joint from between Harley's lips and placing it in his own mouth "that's why I love you pope"

Kie got up and took the joint from JJ, and offered it over to pope. He looked up at her with a frown.

"What pope are you gonna be today?" She asked and he hesitated.

"I'm good. I'm gonna try and focus" he looked away from Kie, and away from the joint.

"Good pope" kie nodded, pulling the joint away from his reach, and sat down besides JJ and Harley "boring pope" she muttered.

"I'll take that" JJ said, wiggling his fingers and kie passed it to him "do tricks now, roll over boy" JJ started messing around and Harley got to her feet and climbed out the van to stand next to pope.

The two leaned side by side on the bonnet of the car, listening to Kie and JJ's rambling in the trailer.

"You okay?" Harley asked him gently.

"She makes no sense to me" pope sighed "one day she's all over me. The next she can't be further away and calls me boring. When I'm high, she doesn't like it, when I'm not, she doesn't like it" pope groaned leaning his head back. Harley leant her head on his shoulder and sighed.

"Love is the worst" she agreed.

"JJ?" Pope asked and Harley didn't say anything, but let out a small sigh and pope took that as a yes "what'd he do now?"

"It's a long story" Harley replied, staying true to her word on not saying anything.

"Well I think he's the dumbest person on the island. He's got a girl like you right in front of him, and he's just gonna let you slip right through his fingers" pope said, and Harley linked her arm through his, and tucked her head further in between the gap between his head and shoulder fondly.