The Pay Off

Chapter Thirty- The Pay Off

Harley, JJ, Kie and Pope poked their head over the top of a wooden fence, observing the construction site where ward was planning on meeting Gavin. It was getting late, maybe eleven pm, close to midnight perhaps, and the rain was hammering down hard, Harley's hair sticking to her face, and her cotton flannel shirt clinging to her body.

"Nice camera, where'd you dig up that relic?" JJ asked Pope, as the other boy pointed an old fashioned looking camera at the construction site they were staring at.

"Why don't you just use your phone?" Harley suggested, looking at the camera pope was holding.

"Well first of all, I like my antique electronics" pope said with no ounce of sarcasm detectable "and second of all, this is a telephoto. It allows me to take a close image from far away" pope informed them.

"What they sponsor you to do an ad or something?" Harley asked sarcastically.

"Lord of the dorks" kie muttered, rolling her eyes with a smirk.

"For definitive proof of witness pay off, we're gonna need quality glass" pope said, clearly not enjoying the scepticism from the others on how useful his telephoto really was.

"There he is!" JJ whispered, spotting ward running in the rain towards the construction site, with a large brown duffel bag tucked under his arm "get down!"

JJ gripped Harley's shoulder and pulled her down, she ducked her head, and looked at JJ, and their eyes met. JJ became overwhelmed to tuck the stray pieces of hair that were stuck to Harley's face from the rain water behind her ear, but now was neither the time nor the place, he told himself.

"And there's gavin" pope said, poking his head back up and looking at Gavin following ward into the construction building through his camera "where are you going you son of a bitch?"

"No no no no no no!" Pope groaned in annoyance, as the two men disappeared out of sight, into the building "I'm losing em!"

JJ looked around quickly "hang on" he told the others.

He ran down the street they'd come down, as Harley kie and pope continued trying to get a look in on the building, but it was no use, they couldn't see anything from where they were. Suddenly JJ whistles to them, and they turned to look at him squinting at them through the rain.

"Come on I found something!" He called to them, and pope, Kie and Harley quickly took off following him "gotta go up top!" He told them when they reached him. He pointed to a ladder, and he ran to it first.

Harley followed after him, climbing as quick as she could, but also carefully to make sure her hands or shoes didn't lose grip from the metal being made slippy in the rain. They reached the roof of the building, and ran to the far wall, ducking low behind it, just poking their heads over the top so they could see.

"You rolling pope?" JJ asked him.

"Yeah you getting it?" Kie asked.

"Yeah" pope nodded, the camera lifted to his eye "yeah I see em" he confirmed.

Harley pushed her hair back from her face as she attempted to watch through the rain, but it was hard to see in the dark, and that was without competing with the weather, that was only seeming to get worse by the minute.

"Here" JJ whispered to the girl, pulling the red baseball cap off his head "might help a bit" he shrugged, placing it on her head. She smiled at him as a thanks.

It in fact didn't help at all, but she didn't take it off because JJ seemed so happy with himself.

"Ward just handed gavin something. I think it's a duffel bag" pope told them as he continued watching through the camera.