48🌸.

Song - Song - Lie to me by Tate Mcrae

After everything we've been through, you come crying to me
You said you'd never lie, so why you lying to me?
I gave you my trust, my heart, and everything inside of me
Tell me how'd you pay me back? You made a fool out of me.

~~

Emma's POV

I gulped as Mr Gray stared at me sternly. The fact that he was displeased was well displayed on his face. This was it. This was where he was going to rain fire and brimstone on me. Breathing in deeply, I squared my shoulders, prepared to take it all in.

" Yes sir."

" Walk with me." He said in a calm yet authoritative manner.

I followed him behind as he already started walking before I could lift my feet of the ground. We walked in silence around the courtyard and that added more to my anxiety. He should just spill it out already.
He stopped walking abruptly and I stopped too.

" I'm disappointed in you , Miss Durson." He didn't call me by my first name which was a usual thing for him to do since he preferred first names. That means he was really pissed.

" I'm so sorry sir. I can explain. I didn't know that Logan and Jake would meet at the office. I didn't know that they'd start throwing punches. You warned me to keep my professional and private life separate and somehow I let them clash..."

" Enough." He cut me off calmly. " I didn't say you should babble. I'm not disappointed in you merely because those two dickheads fought in my company. I'm disappointed because you didn't think to let me know that something like that happened. That also applies to the whole scandal between you, Logan and Jake. You're the business manager of Gray Enterprises. That's a very vital position or have you suddenly forgotten your job description ?"

I lowered my head. " No sir."

" Then why on earth did you not reach out to me ? Instead you and my son decided to hide it till it was out in the news." The frown lines on his forehead multiplied. " I had to hear about something that happened in my own company from the news. That is utterly irresponsible of you ."

" I understand how disappointed are and you have every right to be , sir. I messed up. The first thing I should have done was call or leave you a message but I panicked. I hated the fact that this whole scandal was happening because of me in the first place and I thought I could handle it all on my own. I'm so so sorry sir. For everything." I sighed, feeling my eyes well up but I held back the tears. There was no way I was going to burst into tears in front of my boss. " I understand if firing me is an option you would want to explore but I ask that you pardon my excesses. I promise this will never repeat itself again."

Mr Gray pulled his two arms behind him and held them as he studied me. I hope the sober expression on my face was enough to convince him of how sorry I was.

" You're lucky you're not someone else." He finally spoke. " I would have fired you yesterday. You must know that I don't take anything that relates to my company lightly."

" I know that very well sir."

He looked at me piercingly. " I'm not going to fire you only because of how much you imputed and impacted in my company. It would be foolishness to let an asset like you go. However, if something even lesser than this ever happens again, drop your resignation letter even before I have to fire you. Am I clear ?"

" Yes sir." I replied, feeling giddy . I tried not to smile to show how relieved I was that I was not fired or punished in some manner.

" Also I believe I may have given you too much leverage with your relationship with Logan Ross. From today, you're not to see him for unofficial purposes inside Gray Enterprises. I don't care what is happening between you two but settle it outside the walls of my building."