40 | FORTY

With the rage filling me, I tilt my head up and look at the ceiling, letting out a dark chuckle. Who was Gabrielle to tell me who I could keep in my house and who I couldn't?

"Watch your place; I won't hesitate to throw you on the street and make you realize that I'm the only person you had, and you have lost it," I growled back at her.

"You're ready to leave me for whomever you just met?" She asks, her eyes filled with tears.

This was the first time I ever saw tears in her eyes. She was more like a sister of mine, now. She wasn't weak, but what had gotten into her?

She knew I had no feelings for her or would never have them, yet she thought about having a chance.

"Stop it, don't cry; I don't like weak people." I say to her, "She controls her tears."

"Dante, please give me just one month, and I'll prove that she isn't meant for you." She says that, which makes me mad again. Why does she still think she has a chance?

"No, stop begging for anyone's love," I say to her calmly, hoping she will stop manipulating me.

"Okay, can I see her?" She asks, wiping her tears away. "Not now; she is asleep; maybe tomorrow, and behave properly," I warn her.

"And it's late right now; make yourself home; I'll ask Martha to serve you some food," I say to her.

"Thanks, I'll be back," she says, walking to the guest room with her luggage.

"Sorry for what I said; I didn't mean it," I say out loud for her to hear.

"This is something new that I didn't expect you to say; well, it's ok," she shouts back, smiles, and closes the door of her room.

Finally, I had escaped from her for a while. I always saw her as a smaller sister who was annoying from birth, but she also threw her self on me, while being a part of the cartel.

I even used to make fun of her by saying she was adopted, which always made her cry. My dad would shout at me. But that still never stopped me from bullying her.

From the corner of my eye, I notice Martha come out of the kitchen. "Martha, do you mind serving some food for Gabrielle?" I ask her.

"Sure, she came back." She asks me with a polite smile. "Yeah, she is in her room right now," I say to her. "Well, thanks; I'll be going then," I say, going back to my room.

The first thing I noticed when I opened the door was Laura, who was curled up.

Anyone could have easily kidnapped her, put her in a suitcase, and left. She was tiny.

Even when the lights were off in the room, I could still see her face, which was shining under the moonlight that reflected from the window.

Sliding into the sheets, I pulled Laura closer to me, and I felt her slightly hold my hand.

I could still get the fragrance of my shampoo on her hair, if that made sense. After a few minutes, I too drifted off to sleep.