2 | TWO

I and Dove were hanging around the school like we owned it. I showed Dove around a few places, and surprisingly, I too explored a lot of new places.

Like the professor's staff room, storage room, and many more rooms. I never really bothered to move around this place.

The only thing I did was study and become a bookworm. People saw me as a nerd. I was given the title "The Only Rich Nerd."

As the only thing I cared about was my grades, I didn't bother to date or even look at any guys. Luckily, being with Dove, I didn't realize how time got over so fast that it was time to go home.

I became pretty good friends with Dove. She gave me a nickname. She called me Bambi because I had a big brown eye. On hearing that, I couldn't help but laugh.

"Bambi?"

"Like the deer or something?" I ask her. "Yeah, something like that," she giggles and says.

  ______

TWO MONTHS LATER

Now, me and Dove weren't just pretty close friends but more. We were best friends by now, and I brought her new clothes because I didn't want her to be picked up by other bullies in school like how others did.

We had our weekly holiday, and I called Dove over to my house for a sleep-over and planned on going shopping too. My parents have moved out; they had gone out for some business work in LA.

I had a great chance to be free, and now, finally, I could go out without any questions asked. Or when my parents were there in the house, I couldn't go anywhere.

I was always told to focus on my studies and not watch any television or make any friends. My parents always wanted me to be at the top of my high school class.

That was something I had to work hard on; it wasn't easy getting the first rank among those smart kids. But I never gave up. I always tried my best to make my parents proud.

My whole childhood, I have been doing that. I have been trying to make them proud.

Now that they weren't there at home, I could do whatever I wanted to do.

I could finally be like a bird who had her very first flight.

"What's with the frown on your face?" Dove asks me. "What the-"  I let out a relieved sigh upon knowing it was a dove.

"U good?" You looked scared," Dove asks me with a pure look of concern on her face.

"Yep, I'm good," I say with a smile. I didn't want her to know how I used to be beaten up by my parents when they knew I was doing nothing but resting. They wanted me to always study; they didn't want me to sit around and do nothing.

But I am doing something when I ain't doing anything. I'm saving my energy; isn't that doing something?

removing my thoughts from my head. I look over at Dove, who is sitting on her bed with a chip packet, watching the telivision.

I had admired her; she was a brave girl, nothing like I had thought. I thought if anyone came and bullied her for what she is, she would be hurt, but instead she was bold enough to fight those people who thought she was nothing but weak.

Suddenly, I felt my bed vibrate. "What the hell?" I look around my bed. "What? What happened?" Dove almost yells.

"Nothing. Don't you think the bed is vibrating?" I asked Dove, still looking for what was making me feel that way.

"Ahh, there," she picks up my phone and hands it to me; "This was vibrating."

"Ooh," I say sheepishly, and I let out an awkward laugh. I look down at who the caller is, and the smile on my face drops out.

The caller ID said, "Mom." I picked up the call hoping for something like "How have you been doing, dear?" or something.

But instead I hear, "Laura, have you done your studies? There will be exams soon, and I expect you to be the first in the class again." She says

"Yeah, don't worry, I was only studying," I say. "I'll get good marks, mom."

"Ah, eh, good marks?" "I don't just want you to get good marks; I also want you to be at the top; after all, we've got a family reputation that I hope you won't spoil." "Am I right?" She asks with a cold tone.

I go up to my wifi router and turn it off and on and repeat it just so the connection breaks.

"Mhmm, yeah, I won't ruin the family reputation, mom." I say something to her, which I know she couldn't hear as I was playing around with the wifi.

"Hello?" "Your voice isn't audible," she says, her voice breaking in between.

I know, of course, that it isn't audible.

"Your voice, too, isn't clear, mom," I say. "I'll be back within a week, right before your exam starts," my mom says before the call drops.