12 | TWELVE

As my parents reached home, I got my nerves up and went and showed them the rank list. On reading it, my dad came closer.

I felt a hot, stinging pain on my cheeks; it was the slap that he gave, and I felt tears forming in my eyes.

"You stupid girl, I told you to study well; that was the only job you had to do; couldn't you do that also?" He asks me, slapping me again and again.

I felt tears falling down again, and I screeched out so loudly that almost the whole neighborhood could hear.

"Stop, alright, I have had enough of your bullshit, and I'm tired of making you all proud."

"I fucking tried so hard on studying that I forgot to eat my food, never made friends, and when my brother died, you felt bad and so did I, but you guys never thought of me; I was fucking alone when others had their parents around them," I yelled at them.

"Want to see something? Don't blame me for it. For the reason that you may have lost one kid by accident but will lose another on purpose." I say this while showing them my hands and legs, where all the scars from burns and cuts are there.

"Today you lost it to another kid too," I yelled at them and went in my room and fetched my purse and phone and came back out.

"Why? Why did u tried to kill yourself?"  They ask me, and for the first time, I can see pain in their eyes.

"You don't know? Didn't you know I wanted to live my life? I didn't want to live like a fucking bird in a cage." I yell at them and walk towards the main door, ignoring them, as they call me out.

I hear my mom and dad stop me, but I enter the car, where they are waiting for me, and sit in silence.

After a while, I reach the airport and meet Dove, who has been waiting for me.

On seeing me, she rushes towards me and gives me a tight hug. "I'm glad you came; are you okay?" She asks me.

"Thanks really; I mean it! I feel so good after letting all my anger out," I say with a grin.

"I'm proud of you, Bambi," the dove says and passes me my suitcase.

"Ah shit, I had forgotten about it," I say sheepishly. "Dear, I'm so happy you took the right decision." I hear Carlos speak from behind.

I turn back and see Carlos with a proud smile: "I'm here to send you both off safely."

"What about you?" "Ain't you coming?" I ask him. "I will, but not now. Maybe tomorrow, when your parents take me out of the house, they won't have a clue that I will be with you both." He says.

"You're smarter than I thought, Carlos," I laugh and say. "I guess it's time to leave," Dove comes up to me, hands me the ticket, and says.

"Leave before they know you're leaving for another country," Carlos says, and Dove pulls me inside the airport.

I look up at the transparent glass door for one last time and see Carlos waving us bye, and we wave back and leave.

I sigh in relief, I could finally live my life the way I wanted to, and no one would stop me this time.

This was possible all because of Dove; I owe her something big in the future.