"For Fuck Sake, You're Here Too?"

I awoke before mid day, fully rested. I yawned, stretched and slowly sat up on the bed. Shaking off, I jumped from the bed and headed to the master bathroom for a quick shower.

Once I had scrubbed myself clean of all lasts nights thoughts, I slipped on sweats and padded along to the kitchen. Gemma wasn't up yet so I decided to cook her breakfast for when she did return to the land of the living.

As the bacon and sausages were frying, I turned the radio on and started humming along to the soft tune. I opened the windows to let some fresh air into the gleaming white kitchen. I was proud of this place.

While the food was cooking, I turned on my phone and I had 5 missed calls, 2 voicemails and several texts.

I checked the calls first.
(2) Ed
(3) Mom

I sighed and clicked the voicemails. I put my phone on speaker and listened to it whilst I beat up some eggs.

"You have 2 new messages." The machine said and then I heard my mums voice.
"Harry, where are you? I'm really worried. Gemma's not home and you can't just keep disappearing like this, it's not fair. Just come home or text me or something!"
It ended.

"Second message.
Hey mate, it's Ed, look your mum called, I think she's really worried. Says you're not home. Did something happen? You're not answering my texts or hers so if I don't hear from you by 10am tomorrow I'm going to head up to your house. Don't worry though, I won't tell your mum. Send me a text or something. Also is Gemma with you? Your mums freaking out. You don't even have to text her just text me if you want, k? 10am. Love you, bro. Bye."

Shit. I quickly dialled Ed's number and it called. He picked up after the third ring, "Really? REALLY? You're unbelievable oh my god. Where are you?" He said in an annoyed tone but I knew he wasn't angry.

"The house."

"I'm here."

"Isn't it good I put extra breakfast on?" I said sarcastically.

"Fuck you, I'll be there in 10. By the way, you wouldn't have to cook for me if you answered your bloody phone! You know the thing that people ring or text you on? Yeah, you're supposed to answer." He shouted down the line.

"Yeah well it was off." I bounced back. "See you when I see you."

"Maybe you won't, I'll give you a black eye." He muttered.

"Nah got them already, don't like it. Doesn't match my hair. Bye." I laughed hanging up.

As I put my phone down I heard the door of Gemma's room shut, signally her awakening. She came into view as she walked down the hallway. "Who was that?"

"Ed, he's like 10 minutes away."

She nodded and sat at the island table, running her hand over the smooth white marble. "Did you get like a million messages from mom?"

"Yes, she said I can't keep doing runners." I went to the cupboard and picked up three plates and cups. I set them on the table mats and poured two coffees out.

"Thanks," Gemma said reaching for hers. "Told me she's going out of town for the weekend."

"Business trip?" I asked unamused.

"Yes." Gemma said looking uncomfortable.

"She's been doing a lot of those." I stated with an eyebrow raised. Gemma didn't meet my gaze.

"Yeah I know, she's just trying to balance everything I guess." She shrugged.

I shook my head in frustration but let it go. I'd quiz her about it later, we both knew she wasn't at a business meeting.