"You're welcome, by the way"

Harry's POV

I awoke, yet again screaming, covered in cold sweat and my heart pounding. Breathless, I sat up. Cursing my nightmares I laid my head against the headboard. I sighed heavily.

"Fuck," I breathed. "Fuck!" Quickly I jumped out of bed and grabbed my sweatpants and a tank top. I need to run, I thought frantically. As I was walking out of my room I scooped up my phone from my bedside table. 4:33am.

I quietly stepped out of my room and tiptoed downstairs. I used my phone as a torch as it was pitch black. I just needed to run, to get out and forget my dream, my memories. Reaching the front door, my hand gently unlocked the lock and pulled the handle. The cold morning air slapped my face awakening me even more. My foot emerged from the doorway and crossed into the outside. Closing the door lightly, to not wake the sleeping residents within, I trudged to the gate throwing it open and locking it behind me.

And then I ran. I ran like every night. Ran up the hills and into the forest, ran along the river and around the deserted quiet town, ran up and down streets and into fields with music pounding my ears. Finally I stopped in the park. I ran past the gates and into the grassy park.

My legs ached and my body smelled from my sweat glands overworking due to the excessive exercise. Collapsing onto the damp green grass, I pulled out my earphones and lay there listening to the sounds of the rippling pond, the birds and insects either awakening or just about to go into slumber. If it were spring or summer I would watch the sunrise but it was neither. It was autumn and it was cold. But winter was to come and that would be worse. More harsh, and I dreaded that. The sky was considerably lighter now than it was when I first started running. The moon was still in sight but bits of oranges could be seen in the dark sky.

My lungs worked rapidly trying to take in enough oxygen. I lay on the damp grass in the cool morning for another 20 minutes like I did every morning before deciding it was time to go back. As I stepped back out of the park gates, my eyes searched around the deserted street and I appreciated the silence.

My breathing had eased to a slight irregular rhythm. My legs worked slower this time, walking home rather than running.

When I returned home it was 5:59am, I did 40 sit ups and 20 push ups which took ten minutes then jumped into a hot shower. I showered quickly and after I was done I towel dried my hair, not very effectively and flung myself back into bed. Entering a deep sleep which I hoped would be free from my nightmares, but I knew it wouldn't be.

When I awoke again, it was 8:00am. Of course I was awakened by the pounding of my door under my mothers wrath. "You do not have to break down the door, I CAN HEAR JUST BLOODY FINE!" I yelled and the banging stopped. Thankfully. Footsteps echoed as my mum walked away from my door. I groaned internally and got up.

After I was dressed I grabbed my book bag and phone and headed downstairs. I could smell bacon sizzling mixed with coffee. Nice.

I felt no need to announce my presence, instead I just poured coffee. "Where's mum?" I asked quietly, silently hoping she had gone back to bed. However, I had run out of luck; like always, and she just entered carrying the washing basket.

She smiled at me tentatively, testing the waters to see how I would react; if I would return it or walk away. She was hoping for the former, and I knew. I clutched the coffee mug tightly to my chest and stretched the muscles in my face. Her face beamed when she saw my attempt at a smile but didn't push her luck.

Gemma coughed loudly, breaking the awkward silence. "What time did you get home, mum?" Gemma reached for 3 plates as mum began to spread damp clothes out on the chairs and radiators.