𝖢𝗁𝖺𝗉𝗍𝖾𝗋 𝖥𝗈𝗎𝗋

Start from the beginning

Painful. Painful. It must've been painful.

Sorry. Sorry. Sorry.

Y/n was terribly sorry.

But she had no time to voice her apologies.

She simply ignored the screams and tore the creature apart just like all the other abominations she'd killed during her time as a Cloud Knight.

Even long after the creature had returned to nothingness, purged from the universe, the screams still rang in her mind.

They wouldn't stop.

Not for a very long time.

Burning... her body was burning.

She was beginning to see gold.

Y/n jolted awake, gripping both Mimi and the sheets in a vice-like grip. The room was dark, the only light coming from the city outside the hotel.

She inhaled shakily, then exhaled.

Breathe. She needed to breathe.

Her lungs sure as hell didn't want any air, but they were going to accept it! Otherwise, y/n would start coughing. She really didn't want to cough.

Her back throbbed and ached, and the bandages felt itchy against her skin. She tried to stretch, anything to relieve the tension that had her in a 🚚ing chokehold, but one sharp sting from her back was enough to get her to give it up.

Her heart was racing in her chest, more of a thrumming than a thumping due to how fast it was pounding, and y/n tried to take in air as quietly as possible.

Screaming. Screaming. Stop screaming.

A whimper slipped from her lips and she slapped her hands over her mouth, only succeeding in making more noise. Ahhh, the damage was done.

There was shuffling beside her as Dan Heng propped himself up on his arm with a, "Y/n? Are you alright?"

Y/n opened her mouth to say yes, but she was still sort of in the middle of breathing, so this pitiful noise left her instead. She almost threw herself off the bed on the spot.

"A nightmare?"

"Mm..."

Dan Heng sighed, laying back down on his back with a quiet, "Thought so, come on. You can come over here."

Y/n shuffled over to him until his arm was looped around her, the burning in her veins subsiding and air flowing into her lungs much easier again.

"I'm sorry I didn't bring your book." Dan Heng apologized quietly, "Do you want to tell me about it, or do you just need silence right now?"

"No need to apologize, this isn't something I'd want to write about. Or... talk about, either." y/n mumbled before nestling her face into the crook of his neck instead, "But... I think I might go mad if it's too quiet."

"Will you be able to go back to sleep?"

"Probably not."

Silence.

Y/n began to tremble lightly and Dan Heng rubbed her arm with a soft, "Sorry, do you want me to talk about something?"

"Yeah, that'd be nice." y/n murmured.

"What would you like to hear?"

"Mm... that entry on Warp Trotters in the Data Bank."

"If you say so."