Thirty Nine Part Three

Betsy and Arianna exchanged a quick glance, both of them wondering why they had never noticed it before.

A short distance away, standing toe to toe, the cousins, Drake, and Violet, mirrored one another perfectly.

Their height, breadth, stance, and movements, were so perfectly matched, that in the lantern light, Violet and Drake, almost appeared identical to one another.

Arianna watched Drake fence so masterfully, she became thoroughly mesmerized, not even noticing she was holding her breath. She did, however, notice how warm she was becoming in spite of the evening's coolness.

Watching Drake gracefully, and assertively, engage in the lethal dance of swords, was a thrilling experience she had not witnessed before. Spellbound by the lighting strokes, Arianna almost expected to see sparks fly from the blades.

Finding herself having to draw in a breath, Arianna breathed, "My word..." Her eyes never leaving her dashing husband.

"Mmm hmm," Betsy smirked beside her, quite warmed herself, from watching Violet. "Told you." Betsy replied. Neither of them taking their eyes away from their men.

Violet and Drake found themselves moving about in a circle, as neither one could gain ground upon the other. They thought the same, and to their mutual astonishment, they fought the same.

The men began grinning at one another, and then laughing, as they realised it was futile to spar one another. Lowering their swords to their sides, they both shook their heads in amazement.

"What happened?" Gabriel turned to the King.

The King shrugged his shoulder, and waited to see what was revealed.

Brutus had turned at the first strike, noticing the solidity with which the swords struck. He quirked a brow at Violet in question.

"He knows every move before I make it, and I him." Violet's humour was evident in his voice.

Arianna, seeing her opportunity, rose and quickly approached her husband, laying a hand upon his arm. Drake turned to her, surprised to see her there.

"Are you well, love?" Drake leaned over quickly and grazed her cheek with his own, his lips speaking quietly next to her ear.

"Catch me." Arianna whispered back, letting her knees wobble and start to fold under her.

Drake scooped her up, "Should I be worried?" He looked pointedly into her eyes, as Violet snorted behind him.

"I will be fine," Arianna whispered fervently, "just take me to our room."

She hid her face in Drake's neck as he turned to the other men. "I am afraid Arianna needs to lie down, I shall have to test you another time, Brutus." Drake nodded to the man, receiving one in return from the Wench's new captain. Drake turned to Violet. "Until tomorrow, Cousin."

Violet tried to contain his mirth, as his glance sidled over to his own wife. Betsy sat upon her heels, her hands clasped in her lap, as she looked back upon him warmly.

"Aye," Violet chuckled his response, looking back to Drake. "Get your rest, you two, we have busy days ahead of us, I am sure all of the traveling you did to get here today simply wore her out."

Violet took the practice blade from Drake, seeing the impish smirk Arianna sent him over Drake's shoulder when Drake turned to go.
Violet laughed aloud at her, then turned and bowed flamboyantly at the audience. Tossing the blade to Brutus, Violet queried, "Shall we?"

"Most definitely." Brutus replied, stepping back a few steps then pointing the foil Violet's way.

Drake approached the King, his expectant wife in his arms, her face hidden in his neck. "Sire," Drake nodded in deference down the line, "my lords, and ladies, it has been a long day of traveling and my wife needs to rest."