Chapter Twenty

The Lady Eleanor had been in the process of packing for London. She asked Violet and Betsy to stay for supper as she wanted some time to better acquaint herself with Elizabeth's new husband. "And you say Kathleen is perfectly well, she suffered no ill effects from her treatment at Bailey's hands?"

Violet chuckled as he answered, "Unless she was not a force to be reckoned with before, as she definitely is one now." He shook his head in remembrance at the feisty Duchess, as Betsy nodded and smiled.

"It is truth, she was well when we saw her last, ordering everyone about and keeping all straight she was, she and Arianna were both well and happy." Betsy assured her.

"And Arianna found her betrothed," Lady Eleanor 'tsk, tsked', "Stubborn girl, I should have known she had a card up her sleeve. I know her better than to believe she would just lie down and comply with William's wishes."

Betsy looked down into her lap for a second. "I would say I am sorry for going along with her and not telling you," Betsy raised her eyes then rested her hand atop Violet's that rested on the table, "But I am not really sorry at all." She smiled truthfully at Eleanor to show she meant this with all her heart.

"Well, I can see that, my girl, as long as all ends well, I cannot hold a grudge. I do not think even my own brother will be angry with me any longer for letting you two get away." Eleanor had not taken his rantings to heart, she had known the Duke was just as worried and upset as she had been. She had forgiven him immediately for his blustering wrath.

As a matter of fact, he may even owe her an apology...... Eleanor smiled ruefully, it was not often the man apologized, it may do him some good to have to do so. She however, would not hold her breath to see if he would.

"Your Papa left something for you with me, I was not to give it to you until you came of age, or married, so I shall save it until you wed in the church, since that would make him happy." The Lady teased Betsy, as she knew the two were already wed.

"I would truly like to have whatever it is now, Lady Eleanor." Betsy tried very graciously to beg for whatever it was.

"I know you would, but you shan't, consider it my revenge for running away on my watch." Eleanor raised her brow and challenged Betsy to try again.

"Please?" Betsy wheedled as best she could, "I am sorry, I am sorry I caused you any worry, I am sorry I let My Lady talk me into helping her, I am sorry Arianna is so wilful and I am...."

"Enough, child, you will not win. I get to decide, and I have, you will wait." Eleanor knew it would mean more to Elizabeth if she waited. "I have not had the pleasure of inspecting your ring, may I?"

Betsy huffed her own displeasure, but knew when to quit as she held her hand out, fingers pointed down, so Eleanor could inspect her gold and amethyst ring.

"'Tis a lovely piece to be sure," Eleanor smiled at them both. "I will go with you."

Violet gaped at her and Betsy giggled.

This was the Eleanor she knew. She flew from one thought to another, and you just had to keep up with her.

"You will come to our wedding?" Violet needed to make sure he understood.

"Oh yes, that, of course, but I also mean now, I will come with you now, to London. You may make arrangements for me on your ship, I will need my own cabin and my trunks are already packed, is that not wonderful?" Her eyes were lit up with joy.

"Uhm, er, yes! Wonderful." Violet answered, as Betsy tried to contain her mirth.

Aye, this was her Eleanor. It was then that Betsy realized how much she had missed her. And that her Papa had not only left her something, but someone. Betsy rose and went to her Lady and bent down to hug her. "I missed you, My Lady. I surely did."