Chapter Forty

Violet woke early, gently leaving the comfortable warmth of Betsy's backside just as dawn was breaking gloriously in the eastern sky. Trying his best to avoid waking his sleeping beauty, a smile graced his face as Betsy snored softly, little puffs of air whistling past her lips with a small raspberry at the end. Taming a stray strand of her hair, Violet smoothed it away from her face, loving the feeling of silkiness under his hand, and the feeling of joy that simply touching her brought to him. Vi turned away reluctantly, before his attentions woke her, as she had no need to rise this early.

Making his way through the bathing room, to the sitting room, Violet used a twig and the banked coals from the hearth to light candles, as their rooms were still dark. Violet was grateful, appreciating the ability to so easily gain light, to now have a hearth and home to call his own. He thanked God for these things, as he placed a candle in the dressing room, before taking the other with him into the bathing room. Violet washed, and then shaved his cheeks, leaving a faint shadow on his upper lip, the same width with which he left a shadow upon his chin. Rubbing his face with a towel, Vi began humming as he walked to the dressing room. Closing the door softly behind him, he went to the bureau to dress himself for the day ahead.

Betsy's eyes fluttered open slowly. Her waking thought, upon seeing the empty pillow beside her, was disappointment that Violet was not still lying there. Expelling a dissatisfied breath, she lifted her arms to stretch while rolling to her back. She stretched out upon the bed, a smile slowly dawning upon her face as she heard Violet begin humming an off key tune in the next room.

Betsy rose, tossing her fur aside, she then donned a short, silken robe. She used the privy, then washed her face and hands, rinsing her mouth with mint laced water before seeking out her quarry. Opening the dressing room door slowly, Betsy saw Violet seated in a chair, pulling on one of his boots.

Seeing his face trimmed differently, Betsy's eyes widened, she stood in some disbelief that he could appear even more attractive to her than he had before. What was it with this man? He was a virtual chameleon. Betsy found that she did not mind in the least. She felt again just as she had when she very first lay her eyes upon him. "My Lord." Leaning back weakly against the door, her spoken words and the closing latch gained Violet's attention.

He glanced up to see her standing there, "Good morn, lovey. And how did you sleep once you finally quit clawing at my back last eve?" He smiled appreciatively at her, his brow raising to go along with his teasing words.

Betsy snorted against her will, the reaction just popping out, reminding her of spitting her tea on him so long ago. At least his words had broken the spell his ravishing looks had weaved upon her. "Who clawed? Or should I say, pawed, at whom?" Betsy swaggered as she approached Violet, seeing his eyes light with pleasure, her confidence grew.

"I, I was the one pawing." Violet agreed, licking his lips, speaking trancelike as she moved closer. Giving her a false sense of security, he sat there dumbly, until she came just close enough, then he stood and grabbed her up, burying his face in her neck as she gasped, and then giggled, as his chin stubble tickled her nape. He held her firmly, one hand under her bum, the other around her upper waist, as her toes dangled a foot above the floor beneath her. Betsy's arms came around his neck, while her lips met his in a sweet, soft, morning kiss.

"I am sorry, Kitten, I did not mean to wake you. 'Tis still early if you would like to return to sleep." Violet spoke quietly, kissing her cheek, before setting her down, then placing his hands upon her shoulders, rubbing softly.

Betsy closed her eyes and purred low in her throat. She rolled her head upon her shoulders as he rubbed them, working out the muscles that had lay dormant while she slept. "I slept well, Violet." She realised. "And I am now wide awake." She looked up at him and smiled brightly, "I believe I shall rise also. Is not the reverend coming early this morn?"