Chapter Nine

Where you have children, you must have routine. The children needed structure to their days, as this seemed to give them a sense of security and well being. It was established in the following days that upon awakening, five year old Lila, and her sister, three year old Sarah, would be tossed into bed with Betsy, as Violet dressed and went about getting their breakfast. The girls would break their fast together in the Captain's cabin, while Violet and the boys ate with the crew in the galley.

This was the time that Violet would assign chores to the crew, deciding what that day would hold, as far as preparations for their departure. Violet would not mind staying upon the island indefinitely, however, he knew the time would come when they would have to go. He had a very good reason himself for wanting to return home, other than just introducing Katherine to his new bride.

Violet had wanted to visit his mother also, as it was coming time for the solicitor of his father's estate to visit. Violet always tried to be there for that, as the man stayed on for a sennight, and Violet enjoyed his company immensely. The solicitor, Marcus Medeiros, had known, and been a close friend of Violet's father. Violet longed to hear the stories Marcus told, of growing up with the man that Violet had never had the chance to know. Just hearing about him, made Vi feel as if he knew his father at least a small bit.

Other than his mother's memories, which were only sightly more than a fortnight of courtship and marriage, he had none of his own memories to draw from. He wished so many times he could have been given at least one memory, but he had to be satisfied with others remembrances of the man. This was the reason the solicitor's visits held a very important place on Violet's list of priorities. Also it was time to return the men who had families, to see, and spent time with their loved ones for a spell.

According to the schedule Marcus always kept to, Violet had less than six weeks to arrive at their destination. It would take a month, give or take a few days, depending on weather, for them to sail home. It should work out perfectly, if they limited their time here on the island to under a sennight.

The Wench shone under the bright Caribbean sun, her wood now gleaming with a shine that raised spirits, and induced a pride in the crew to keep her that way.

That first day they had spent on the swimming lessons. Betsy and the babes were taught to float on their backs, tread water, and to hold their breath underwater while propelling themselves short distances. Jonah was a natural, one lesson and he was swimming like a fish. The girls took a bit longer, but were progressing nicely, Violet was very pleased with their efforts.

After the noon meal of johnnycakes and salted pork, the babes napped, while the cabin boys went about their duties. The bed linens and clothing had been dried on the rails and lines, they needed to be retuned their rightful owners and places of use.

Timothy went along with Pete and Bart in the dinghy, to fish, and try to replenish the larder with some meat and shellfish. The fresh catch would be used for their dinner, or dried for later use, packed in barrels, and layered in salt. Timothy knew how to swim very well and found a thrill in diving for shellfish. He would drop off the side of the dinghy and dive down, looking to find any edible crustaceans he could, bringing them up to Pete, then diving down again. He found a sort of peace under the ocean's surface, trying to deal with his father's death, yet grateful knowing they were safe now, he was able to come to terms with the recent past. There were times his father's face would swim before him, and his tears would mingle with the salt water he swam in, but they eventually passed, usually with the sight of a creature he would wrangle into his small netted bag. He dove to one side of the dinghy as the men tossed their net off the other side. It only took a short while until the curious fish were no longer frightened by the boy swimming in their midst.