Thirty Part Three

The King stood a little behind and to the side of Elizabeth. One side of his mouth lifted in a satisfied smirk, as Betsy hit the targets out in front of them. Near and far, one after the other, Betsy never missed once.

The range ran a span of twenty meters, the King wishing it were longer, as Elizabeth did not seem to be challenged at all.

"Your father and I would practice together every other morning," The King told her, "The off days were spent practicing swords."

The King remembered those days fondly, the exercise keeping them fit in body and mind. The banter and heady discussions he shared with Alex had been sorely missed.

"I am trying to learn the sword myself, I can wield the foil to a degree, yet the swords are heavy," Betsy admitted her weakness, "I can not support the weight of them for very long."

"It takes time, conditioning, and the right sword." The King imparted.

They moved back to sit upon a bench, Betsy laid the pistol down carefully on the seat next to the bag of shot that sat between them.

"The rifle the commander asked me to use was to my liking." Elizabeth's eyes shined in remembrance, "Violet, upon his own ship, tossed plates into the air as we shot at them from the Omega. I enjoy the challenge of a moving target....." Elizabeth giggled, "I have not told you of the rats, have I?"

"Rats!" The King looked upon her, horrified, yet also amused. "No, you have not, do tell."

"I suppose, if you have the time, I should start at the beginning." Elizabeth had not told him yet of her flight with Arianna that stormy night.

"I shall make time, start at the beginning." He nodded, smiling upon her indulgently, as she set forth to do just that.

******************************************

The Duke of Marlborough sat in a chair angled to the coffee table, as Violet sat upon the settee, flanked on one side by Ellie, and to William's amusement, on the other side, sat Kathleen.

William had given up trying to keep his wife from Violet. He resigned himself to the fact that she liked the young man, and there was not a darn thing he could do about it.

He could act the jealous fool over a man half his age, or he could sit and enjoy himself, watching his beautiful wife as she laughed and flirted harmlessly with Elizabeth's pirate.

William could not help but to like Vi himself, once Eleanor insisted upon telling them of the pirate's true deeds.

It was highly commendable what the young man had accomplished under his ruse these many years, William thought to himself, very commendable.

William would like to take part in such an honorable endeavor, one that not only gave the youngsters a home, but one that also trained them a trade for their future.

Having a grandchild of their own on the way, the Duke and Duchess' hearts were doubly touched by the plight of these unfortunate children that Violet hoped to give a home to.

"I would like to help you, Petals, your cause is definitely a worthy one." William noticed Kathleen shooting him a stunning smile. He could not help but to return it, "I will have to see what can be done to raise donations and assist you."

"I also, shall send a missive to the Marchioness," Kathleen added, her face glowing at her husband's interest in aiding Violet and Elizabeth, "Mayhap, Amelia could raise awareness and entreaty the other ladies to start collecting contributions, we will need a committee, so the assistance will be ongoing."