Thirty Part Two

Marcus arrived at the apartments Alfred shared with Merry. The men planned on having breakfast together, then visiting Gwen at Jude's townhouse afterwards.

Marcus met the girl, Merry, thinking her lovely, he wondered at her relationship with his son. This was not the woman, Terese, that Alfred had told him about.

Alfred was still dressing, Merry had started painting already this morning. She invited Marcus to come into her sitting room turned studio, if he wanted to wait for Alfred in her company.

Marcus, at Merry's invitation, sifted through her book of sketches while they chatted.

Merry told him of Alfred's generosity in buying her the supplies to ply her craft.

This made Marcus even more curious.

Was his son the sort of man who would keep a mistress after finding the woman he wanted to wed?

Marcus forced himself to study the drawings Merry had created, instead of sitting there judging his son.

"You have a definite talent, my dear. These are quite well done." Marcus noticed that while her portraits and stills were very good, her landscapes seemed to come alive. "You like the outdoors, do you not?"

Merry lit up as a candle, "It is what I prefer," Merry admitted, "I was raised in the country, on the shore. Wide open spaces, the hills and streams, they are something I miss very much."

"I also prefer the same." Marcus smiled upon the charming girl. If she were Alfred's mistress, at least the young man had good taste in women.

Alfred came down and joined them, the men taking their leave soon after.

Lynwood was directed to take them to a local eating establishment.

Settled in the coach for a few moments, Marcus could not help but to try to satisfy his curiosity, "Merry is a lovely girl...."

Alfred sat comfortably back, his arms stretched out to either side, one leg propped up, his ankle supported by his knee. He grinned as the Cheshire Cat and answered his father, "Yes, she is."

Marcus frowned a titch, as that answered nothing at all.

"You live there at the apartment with her?" Marcus queried, hoping he would get a bit more out of Alfred this time.

"Yes, when I am not home at the estate." Alfred continued grinning, he could not help himself, then he burst out laughing at Marcus' second furrowing of his brow.

"Why do you not just ask what we both know you are trying to get around to?" Alfred continued chuckling at Marcus' scrunched up face.

He had been called out and caught prying, yet Marcus had to ask, "Is she your mistress?"

"There now, father, was that so difficult?" Alfred was delightedly amused to have this time alone, just he and his father.

They had needed to do this for a long time now, Alfred was grateful for every moment he could spend with this man, now that the poison was gone from his soul.

"Yes, it was difficult." Marcus laughed his answer, he then sobered a bit and raised his brow, "Well Alfred...... Is she?"

"Not any longer, father," Alfred smiled widely, "Not since I met Terese. Yet, I am paying the rents, and there is a spare room that allows me to stay in town comfortably."

Marcus was glad that his son was not the sort of man who would be consorting with two women at the same time.

"She is very good at drawing." Marcus nodded slightly as they arrived at their destination.