Thirty Five Part Two

Brutus and Michaels sequestered themselves in the galley upon rising. They broke their fast, while listing the supplies they would need to order for the refurbishing of the Wench.

Working diligently over coffee, ham and eggs, they were both in high spirits this morn.

Both men were excited to get started, as they eagerly anticipated the changes they planned for the old girl.

Improvements that had been a long time coming. Changes that would make all the difference in the world.

Once the Wench had been emptied of her contents, she would be dry docked, then ripped apart. Michaels had drawn up plans that included redesigning her bow, adding a full mast, and adding an additional gun deck. All of which, would make her that much more effective toward their cause.

Not only was she being made into a sleeker ship with the newly redesigned bow, but she would be a longer, therefore, larger ship.

With the addition of the new upper gun deck, they would increase not only their gun power, but they would also be increasing their intimidation factor as well.

In addition, the Wench would have more room to accommodate the children that they were after.

Brutus still could not believe he was being financed and supported in his endeavor.

Though he did, in hindsight, feel badly for Violet.

Violet had always had to make do with his wits, and a slow ship, all the while fearing prosecution from the Crown.

Brutus was blessed that he now sailed for the Crown, and he had license to pirate ships legally.

As long as they were not English ships, that was. One did not take from his own countrymen.

The King had been more than adamant about that.

Brutus chuckled, as he remembered Violet's face the eve before, when the King had voiced that amendment to their policies.

Violet had sat there, grinning widely, remembering the English spoils he had gotten away with stealing.

The King had spoken pointedly to Brutus, while doing his best to ignore the cheery pirate seated beside him.

Brutus had found it hard to maintain a straight face, and nod accordingly, as he kicked at Violet's shin under the table.

Damn, I will truly miss Violet.

Even as excited as Brutus was to captain a ship, he had never sailed without Vi before. He felt saddened that he and Violet would not work together any longer.

Brutus frowned his displeasure at the thought.

He did not want to think about that quite yet. It would still be a while before they would be going back out to sea. Mayhap, he could get used to the idea after some time had passed.

As he and Michaels finished their coffee, checking over their lists one last time, Brutus delayed their departure for a few more moments.

He wanted to make sure that Elizabeth had all she needed before he left.

Brutus informed his mate of his intentions, then made his way to the Captain's cabin.

*****************************************************

Betsy sat upon the bed in heartbroken misery. Her throat squeezed tightly and her breath hitched, as she attempted to read the letter in her hand.

The words before her blurred, further frustrating her, as she tried to rub the blinding tears from her eyes and finish reading the missive.