Chapter Forty One

The King required a few well placed elbows over the span of the morning. The other crewmen were quick to remind him to not act quite so royally when he would raise up to his full height and start taking on airs.

Violet, rather than spend the entire day, one by one, assuring the people that he gave his true name, took himself off to the prow of the ship once a good many people had arrived. Making his way up to the rail above the maidenhead, Violet swung out wide, holding fast to a rope, his feet firmly planted on the rail. 'Twas the best place he could think of to address the crowd of people who had assembled on the lawn, being that the ship had immediately gained everyone's interest. Nobles and townsfolk alike, all leant an ear, as Violet's strong, friendly voice rang out.

"Ahoy, me hearties! Welcome one, welcome all." Violet hung to the line and bowed as deeply as his precarious position allowed. "I am your host, Violet Petals, former captain of the Saucy Wench."

Vi waited a second for the laughter to commence, then he waited more than a full moment for it to then lessen. "Aye, 'tis truly my name, my own sweet mother gave it to me as a wee babe, and the Saucy Wench be the fine craft I sailed for the las' ten years." More signs of amusement issued forth from the men as they realized this was a part of the entertainment. Most of the women were smitten, sighing in romantic pleasure.

"I suggest ye be wary of yer purses, my fine guests, whilst ye enjoy yer day." Violet grinned, as the women tittered and the men unconsciously patted their pockets to assure their security.

"An' yer wenches," Violet paused, scanning the crowd while wiggling his brows, "as thar be pirates about, ye may want ta mind those, too." Violet heard Betsy's musical laugh mingling in with the amused crowd from where she stood behind them on the landing. Standing between the good reverend and her great grandfather, Betsy watched, greatly amused, as her husband addressed the people.

Violet swept his arm out, his digits all pointing Betsy's way, before he slowly turned his head towards her, giving her a lecherous grin, "The wench on yon landing is mine."

Betsy gave him a saucy smirk in return. 'Twas not all that was his standing here proudly. Her eyes began glowing with her secret, her face revealing her love for this man, while she simply could not wait to share her discovery with him. She flamboyantly bowed towards Violet as he continued grinning down upon her. The guest's heads swung back and forth to look between the two. Instantly branded a love match, thought by most to be an adorable couple, the people warmed quickly to the new occupants of Shelly Hall.

"My wife," Violet smiled possessively, "quartermaster, and your hostess, Mistress Elizabeth Petals." Violet informed them proudly as Betsy straightened from her bow. Lowering her gaze humbly at first, then lifting her eyes slowly, Betsy took in the friendly sea of unfamiliar faces around her smiling a little shyly in return.

"I invite ye all to enjoy the festivities," Violet swung his arm out to encompass the stables and fields, "'tis very pleased we are to have ye here, each and every one." Violet grew serious, "Whilst I encourage ye to enjoy yerselves, I also ask that ye keep the wee ones in mind." Violet spoke from his heart, losing a bit of his act, he prayed the people would hear his words well. "This land is now a refuge, a safe harbor for those in need. I beg of ye, please, come to us for help before sending your babes off to the factories, 'tis no life for them, an' a worry ye do not need."

Violet hit the people where it hurt. This was why he had broadened the affair. The nobles could bring them funds, and assistance, that much was true. But the townsfolk, they could bring him children, they knew of the babes in the streets, hell, they gave their own children over to taskmasters who ran the factories when they could not afford to feed them. Thinking their own babes were better off with a bed and food in their bellies, their very own children were being thrown to the lions. Violet and Marcus had discussed expanding the herds, they had plans to till part of the meadow over the hill where the large orphanage would reside. Growing as many fresh foods as they could, the men had discussed a food pantry, hoping to help the poor so they would not have to sell their children's souls.