Thirty Four Part Four

Alfred let himself out the garden doors. Closing them softly behind him, he turned towards the garden, catching a glimpse of Terese's sky blue gown through the sculpted hedges.

He smiled mischievously and sauntered slowly forward. He began humming a waltz tune they had danced to at Lady Harrison's ball, as he made his way towards her, stopping only when he felt that Terese would bolt if he came any closer.

"I know you are there, my beauty. And I know I have vexed you," Alfred said softly, "I have come to beg your forgiveness."

Terese scoffed, turning away from spying upon him and his slow approach, she crossed her arms tightly and glared at the solid bench that sat off to the side of the curved path.

"I have been teasing you, and I would have you know, 'tis only that I am feeling somewhat mischievous this eve, as I came here with every intention of making you mine."

Terese attempted to harden her resolve until 'twas as solid as the stone bench she levelled her eyes upon.

But Alfred spoke softly, his voice exuding a warm timbre that physically swept through Terese, pulling at her, even as she fought against it.

"I am not as thick headed as you may believe." Alfred chuckled softly.

"However, I do have an awful tendency to tease those I love, and I have found myself to be very much in love with you." Alfred came around the bushes and placed a hand upon the tree bough above Terese's head, standing very close to her.

She slowly raised her eyes from his shirtfront to his face.

Terese gave him a scornful glare before she turned away once more and began walking away from him.

She did so slowly, however, as she did not want to miss his next words.

"I lost my mother today." Alfred spoke to her back as she meandered out in front of him.

Terese whirled upon him at his words. "You lost....?"

"My mother..... A cold, horrible, bitter woman....with whom this world is a much better place for being without."

Terese looked upon him with furrowed brow. Is that why he had never spoken of his mother? "I am sorry, none the less," Terese breathed the words, "I am sure it can not be easy to lose a parent, even one that caused grief while living." Her eyes searched Alfred's own, seeing that he appreciated her condolences.

"Thank you." Alfred bowed his head, "I was lucky enough to have been blessed with a good father, however. He has asked me to care for her things she left behind, so I must be gone to the family estate tomorrow."

"I can well understand the need to be with your family at a time such as this, Alfred." Terese attempted to be politely aloof, as though he were only a friendly acquaintance she may miss upon occasion in the future.

"I do have hopes to begin my own family," Alfred continued, leaning in even closer to her, as she seemed rooted to the spot for a moment, "I came here this evening hoping to gain a bride."

Terese looked into Alfred's eyes. She could see that he loved her, she also saw that his future hope and happiness resided in her answer.

She turned away from him again, strolling deeper into the garden. She longed to be truthful and tell him what was in her heart, yet, she also felt he was enjoying this game of trying to win her over.

Alfred followed her and with his long strides he quickly came up to walk beside her.

She turned her head to give him a questioningly, uncaring look, "Are you hoping to gain any bride in particular? Someone I may know, perhaps?"