Thirty Six Part Four

************************************************************

The King said his farewells to Violet, and Elizabeth, knowing he would soon see them again. He planned to ride out to Shelly Hall in a few days time, early in the morn, to check on his men's progress with the foundations, and to take his falcon to hunt.

The King was sorry to see the two couples leave the castle. Marcus and Katherine were gone already, Violet and Elizabeth were leaving and would be taking the boys, the halls would seem awfully quiet without the group of youths trekking throughout the castle.

As it could not be helped, the King thought that he could always check in on the progress of the Wench, and spend more of his time visiting with his ward.

The King felt badly that he had not allowed his ward, Tomas, to meet the boys. Every day that he had spent time with the cabin boys, or when he had spent time with Tomas, the King had thought on how well they would all get along together.

The King knew that Tomas must be lonely for other children's company, yet it was so very important to keep him safe. Especially after the attempt the other eve that the boys had thwarted.

The King knew the boys could probably be trusted to keep knowledge of Tomas to themselves. However, he did not want to have to ask them to, nor to have to ask them to lie about Tomas's presence, if it ever came to that.

The King had realized that night, when the man breached his walls, that he very well may be putting these people at risk in allowing them to be so close to himself.

He had forgotten for a while, that people who came too close to him, sometimes got hurt. He would be beyond devastated, if harm came to any one of them.

He lost Alex already, long ago.

Marcus, and his family were the first people the King had allowed to get close to him in a very long time.

Yet, if someone were to take Elizabeth, to force his hand in order to save her life, or if she were to be harmed, or the boys, or even the pirate for that matter, he would never forgive himself.

That was the problem with being King. You could not have relationships without risk.

His heart pained him as he wondered if he would have to distance himself once more.

The King looked from where he stood upon the drive, up, to the westerly walls. Finding the nursery windows, he was surprised to see Tomas looking out.

As the King watched the window, the curtain fell back into place and the boy was hidden from view.

A couple of hours would bring the noon meal. He would have his dinner with Tomas. Mayhap, walk in the garden with him afterwards, as the boy needed more sunshine and fall was fully here. It would be getting colder soon, and the outdoors would not hold so much of a draw.

*******************************************************************

Violet instructed the boys where they could and could not go as they rode out to Shelly Hall. He then turned them loose when they arrived at the estate.

The boys needed to run off some steam, and Violet wanted to take Betsy inside the manse to show her what had been done so far.

The staff had thrown themselves wholeheartedly into ridding the place of Gwendolyn's heavy hand. The attic had never been so full, the manse had never seemed so light and airy.

The windows were open at mid morning, the heavy draperies had been thoroughly cleaned, before being swept wide open, the sheers left in place to flutter in the breeze.