Twenty Five Part Three

"Were you hungry much, Merry?" Alfred laughed at Merry's appetite as she placed her napkin down and smiled shyly at him.

"I began receiving deliveries this morning and I did not stop to eat all day." Merry finished her ale and placed the glass back upon the table. She noted that Alfred had finished his dinner also.

Merry had eaten all that was set before her, and she was excited to return home. "Can we go back now? There is still more I have not opened yet."

Alfred loved the way her bright, hazel eyes shone with enthusiasm and joy. "Yes Merry," He laughed, "Let me return you to your passion."

Merry blushed, and looked down at the table, as Alfred counted out coins and set them down.

He came around and helped Merry to rise, escorting her out of the pub and onto the street.

"What do you think you shall paint first?" Alfred asked her.

Merry furrowed her brow and thought upon this. Though she could draw still objects, and she was fairly good at drawing people, landscapes were her favorite things to try to capture on canvas. She liked lakes and meadows, wildlife and trees.

"I would like to find a beautiful landscape." She admitted to Alfred.

"You like to paint places?" Alfred was intrigued, he did remember seeing a sketch or two of the outdoors in her book now that he thought of it.

He also thought of the estate the Ferguson family leased where he had been earlier in the day. It was too bad he could not take Merry on the grounds. He thought of the small waterfalls that filled shallow pools in the garden.

But surely there were many other places, the botanical gardens or the many parks may do.

"I will see what I can find." Alfred offered.

Merry liked this new Alfred. He was enjoyable to be with, he wore the air of a gallant that he did not force or deceive with any longer. This was real, she could read the actual feelings in his eyes now, when before they had been shuttered and closed to any emotion.

As they approached her apartment door, she stood on her toes and kissed Alfred's cheek. "Thank you, Alfred. And thank you for dinner, too." She smiled happily up at him, before proceeding into the house.

Alfred found himself feeling very good, so far his day had been most pleasant. "I am going out Merry, enjoy your gifts." He called to her, as she was already halfway out of the room.

"Have a good evening." He heard her call back to him from the hallway.

Alfred took the stairs two at a time, going to his room, he readied himself for his evening with Terese and her parents.

He left the room some minutes later, shrugging on an evening coat, and planning to meet with Jude beforehand.

*****************************************************

"This is a new rifle that just came from France a few months ago." Eli was demonstrating the rifle's loading process to Betsy, as she admired the shiny stock and oiled metal that gleamed in his hands.

"Your father would have appreciated it's accuracy."

Betsy had never fired a rifle before. She stood back as Eli looked around for a target.

"I can help you with some targets, Commander." Violet called across the water.

"What did he say?" Eli asked Betsy.

"He said he could help us with finding a target." Betsy told the old man.

"He is not offering himself is he?" Eli tried to keep his features schooled seriously, but could not quite manage it, grinning widely he looked at Betsy hopefully.