Thirty Two Part Four

While the men and boys took their strings of fish up to the house, to clean and filet for the cook, Elizabeth walked with the King over towards Brutus. The tall, well muscled man was attempting to lay a blanket upon the grass.

He and Margaret had chosen a mature tree to sit beneath, Margaret stood aside waiting, while Brutus fussed about, straightening out the corners.

"Brutus!" Margaret whispered fiercely.

Elizabeth held the King's arm, and they were wandering over to where Margaret waited.

Brutus stood and acknowledging their presence, he bowed his head at the King.

"Sire, this is Margaret," Betsy told the King quietly, as she saw that the babe still slept. "And this, is her son, Daniel."

Shyly acknowledging the introduction, Margaret lifted her eyes from the ground slowly, after dipping shallowly at the man.

The King's eyes were kind, an interest shown in his dark, curious orbs as he lifted a brow in question, receiving Margaret's slight nod.

The King moved the light cover away a bit, to see the babe a little better.

Brutus came to stand behind Margaret, almost possessively, but most definitely supportively.

The King smiled upon the couple, as they made a fine looking one, and the babe was also a beautiful child.

A perfect cherub's face, rounded, chubby cheeks, a tiny bowed mouth, his thick shock of black hair bringing an indulgent smile to the King's face. "Brutus, I did not know you were wed."

Margaret's eyes flew wide and her mouth did also, before she slapped her lips back together, as Brutus spoke.

Margaret felt heat crawling up her chest, she took a few shallow breaths, wishing the embarrassment away as her face became violently aflame.

The King thought her bastard son, who she, herself, could not say who his father was.... The King had thought Brutus to be Daniel's father.

Margaret wanted to disappear into the ground.

She willed a hole to open up and swallow her whole.

"I am not, Sire," Brutus replied regretfully, "Margaret came by way of the Green Eyed Lady, with the Duchess." Brutus looked down upon her dark head, "She lived upon the island Bailey owned."

Margaret looked down at the ground, then her eyes darted to her shoulder, as she felt Brutus' hand settle lightly upon her. "She is a survivor, Sire." Brutus said with pride in his voice, "I felt she could use a day of ease."

Brutus came forward a step to stand beside her, Margaret risked a peek at his face, and Brutus winked at her, before turning back to the King.

She had been ready to disappear.

Until Brutus placed his hand upon her shoulder, giving her a temporary anchor.

Until Brutus opened his mouth and praised her as an overcomer.

Until Brutus winked at her and made her want to cry at his loveliness.

The King realized he had embarrassed her, "My apologies, I thought the boy looked as you, Brutus." The King admitted his mistake, "It is my pleasure, Margaret, a fine looking boy you have there."

She risked a glance at the King, he was sincere in apologizing for his blunder.

"Thank you." Margaret whispered quietly, while looking down upon Daniel. The King was right, he was a fine looking boy.