Thirty One Part Four

Katherine thought back to the many children that had passed under her roof for almost the last decade. She prayed for them always, and she endeavoured to have faith that they were well placed, well loved, and cared for as someone's very own.

Seeing Rebecca with her nephews had gone a long way to reassuring Katy that Timothy and Jonah would be just fine.

It also gave her hope that all of the children they saved had found equally loving, nurturing homes.

Tucking the boys in, after hearing their prayers, Katy left the boy's cabin with a grateful heart, and a few thankful tears in her eyes.

Katherine went to Brutus' cabin, which she occupied once more, as Lady Eleanor had since vacated it.

Going to her knees next to the bunk, Katy raised her face and folded her hands upon the berth.

She prayed for their small souls, these sweet boys, who did not have their own mother's love and care. She prayed that the Lord would hold them close and use their lives for His good, that they would always feel loved and safe.

She thanked God that the boys had come above deck, she then asked Him to give them peace, and strength, when they left the ship come morn.

After thanking Him for his mercies and grace, Katherine said her Lord's Prayer then rose from her knees.

She went about readying herself for bed, still praying subconsciously that their outing tomorrow would be blessed.

She was not really nervous about visiting Marcus' estate, yet the thought that it would be her home soon, had her praying she would have strength and find peace there.

She crawled under the covers and as they warmed from her body, she thought of how wonderful it would be when Marcus could be beside her, his warmth adding to her own.

She drifted off to dream of green sprawling meadows, littered with snowy, frolicking lambs, she and Marcus' very own grandchildren chasing them around the field as she watched over them.

*********************************************************

After sharing dessert and much conversation about sailing, pirating, and saving orphaned children, Pete led Rebecca to the door of the establishment.

She swept through the portal ahead of him, as he stood at the door, glancing each way down the walk, assuring himself of her safety.

Taking his arm in hand, Rebecca walked beside him. They strolled past taverns and affordable lodgings, their path lit softly by lanterns that hung along their intended path.

"I must honestly say, I had never thought to meet the King, not ever in my wildest dreams! That was just short of amazing." Rebecca's voice held wonder and joy thinking back upon her experience.

"The thought had me fairly quaking in my boots but a few days ago." Pete admitted sheepishly.

Rebecca chuckled softly, "I could see where it might at that, but did you see me there, curtsying as a bobber on a lake?" Rebecca laughed at herself and the nervousness she had felt.

Pete laughed along with her, "T'was altogether charmin' if ye be askin' me." He smiled down upon her, as Rebecca fell just a wee bit more in love with this great man, and his own charming ways.

"You are kind to say so, yet I felt quite a fool at the time." Rebecca chuckled.

They walked along slowly, enjoying the evening, the lamplight, and one another's company.

Rebecca thought aloud, "The King is a real person is what I found to be."

"He did seem ta be." Pete chuckled, as, really, what else would he be?

Rebecca continued, "Imagine, offering his condolences on the passing of my loved ones. And the way he honoured you, for saving those poor children, why Pete, I just never imagined he would be so..... Well, so like us." She looked at Pete with a perplexed look on her face, "It would be good if more people knew he had a heart underneath his robes. I know that I feel better he leads this country after meeting him for just a short amount of time." She nodded absently, "A person tends to think he holds himself above all others, but if you get the chance to look into his eyes, to hear his words and see his emotions..... Well, my view is changed, is all I am trying to say. And it changed in a very good way."

"And you are correct in your observations," Pete stated, "It also seemed in me, to bring about a deeper desire to serve that man, to support him in his endeavours, as he is showing his support of us," Pete shook his head slightly, "To be fixin' the ship and addin' more guns will make our task that much easier."

"I feel so blessed to have met him, and to think that we are all going to the country tomorrow, and he will be there too," Rebecca's eyes twinkled up at Pete, "I do not know how I shall sleep tonight with the excitement of it all."

"Just think of the lads, and all their energy ye shall have ta keep up with, that should do the trick." Pete chuckled, as did she.

They approached her home and walked up the steps leading to the front portal.

Pete did not dilly dally, nor beat around the bush. If he had been reading this woman correctly all evening, she would welcome his kiss.

Rebecca turned towards Pete a bit nervously and opened her mouth to speak, only to have Pete swoop in, take her into his arms and slant his mouth atop hers.

She melted under his assault, as he pulled her in close, and expertly quieted her fears.

Pulling back from her, Pete's eyes crinkled in a smile, as her own were still closed, her breathing shallow.

Rebecca opened one eye to look at him, "Again." She said, as she closed her eye and waited.

Pete grinned indulgently, then he obliged her, just as many times as she wanted him to.

***********************************************************

Just closing off the evening and chapter loveys, we have a good day ahead of us :)