Thirty One Part Three

Pete and Rebecca left the boys in Katherine's very capable hands.

Katherine was more than happy to have Timothy and Jonah stay, so Pete and Rebecca could go have dinner.

Luckily, Paulie and the boys had eaten their dinner earlier at Rebecca's, as the boys had seen the desserts the King brought and had pounced on their share.

They were clustered with the other boys, as Pete and Rebecca made their way down the gangplank, past the King's men.

Rebecca directed Pete the way they should go as they made their way up from the wharf, a short walk bringing them to one of the establishments Rebecca's father had brought her to occasionally.

T'was a pub of the middle class range, not fancy, but cozy and inviting, Pete noted, as they walked inside.

Rebecca had brought Pete here because they boasted the best Yorkshire pudding this side of the Atlantic.

"Would you like me to order you an ale?" Pete asked, as he helped her into her chair. He scooted her in, as she wiggled around becoming comfortable, then smiled up at him.

"Watered wine, if you please," Rebecca wanted to stay awake and enjoy every moment of this evening. Ale made her sleepy, and as an added boon, she found herself having to use the privy every five moments when she did drink it, "Thank you."

The wine would be a much better choice.

"As you please, my lady." Pete went to the bar and told the barkeep what they would have.

Returning to Rebecca, he sat next to her, rather than across, his eye then having full view of the door that led into the establishment.

Habits died hard when you were used to watching your back, and this was a habit Pete would not be giving up anytime soon.

A young, pretty maid brought their order, "Good evenin' ta ya both," Her sparkling, green eyes smiling, as she greeted the newcomers, "Will ye be dinin' w' us ta night?"

"Aye," Pete looked to Rebecca, as he answered the smiling maid, "We are here for your Yorkshire puddin' this eve."

Rebecca nodded, smiling appreciatively at Pete. Her visage glowed, as even though she thought the maid to be prettier than herself, Pete paid the attractive girl no attention at all.

Pete's eyes seemed to be only for herself, and Rebecca adored him for that.

Receiving her stunning smile, Pete chuckled softly, "And just what has you beaming so brightly, Sunshine?"

"Oh, now. Allow a woman her secrets, Pete." She fairly batted her lashes at him, as she answered coquettishly.

"I am here to explain and clear myself of any wrongdoings in yer eyes," Pete grinned at her, "Yet ye make me feel as if I do not need to bother."

"You do not need to bother." She assured him. "I enjoy being with you, Pete. And you do not have to explain yourself to me." Rebecca glanced down at the table, as Pete's hand settled atop her own, her eyes warming to a deeper azure, as she welcomed his touch.

His thumb traced back and forth over the back of Rebecca's wrist, until she turned her palm to his to hold his hand, stroking with her own thumb against his skin. "I would have you do whatever you may need to, to accomplish what it is you do."

Pete had not thought there would be an issue over his dealings, considering it was because of those dealings, Rebecca now had her nephews to love and raise.

"I thank you for that," Pete ducked his head shallowly, "Especially as it seems I will be continuing to do so, at least for a while."

"And I am glad!" Rebecca squeezed his hand, "If you do not, who will?"