Chapter Ten Part Two

"En guarde!"

Betsy sat on the deck with the children and the rest of the crew. Violet and Brutus were demonstrating the rapiers, as Betsy had mentioned at supper wanting to learn.

Supper had been a grand affair, all the lobsters had been boiled, the conch had been made into fritters and fried. The breadfruit had been stewed with shreds of pork and lightly flavored from the juice of the coconuts. Johnnycakes had been piled high and rounded out their meal. The plantains had been served for dessert, mashed with raw sugar and also a bit of the coconut juice. Everyone had feasted at the long wooden tables in the galley, amid boisterous conversation and many compliments to the cooks. Pete, Bart, and Timothy had been lauded for their catch of the day, as everyone ate, until they could eat no more.

The men were now providing the evening's entertainment, amid oohs and awes from the spectators. The swords they used were dulled practice blades, as this was only a demonstration, not an actual sword fight.

Betsy was amazed by the swiftness of the movement as the two men parried from one end of the lower deck to the other.

Lanterns had been hung, illuminating the deck, shining off the slim blades as they moved swiftly, with lightning speed.

Sarah sat in Betsy's lap. Betsy was flanked by Davey and Elias, the other boys sat to either side of them. The rest of the crew were also seated on the deck, along the rails, each shouting to their choice of victor, as the men seemed pretty evenly matched.

Paulie had Lila and Jonah, each taking up space on one of his knees, as he sat cross legged across the deck from Betsy and the boys.

Betsy was impressed, that even with the high anxiety and yelling going on from the sidelines, Paulie cursed not a once.

Betsy found herself mesmerized by the flashing steel, the athletic abilities of Violet and Brutus, and the quickness with which they defended then attacked. She could not choose either one to cheer for, as they both were equally astounding.

Everyone watching held their breath as Violet backed Brutus up against the helm deck. Brutus made a swift turnabout, which brought him to the steps, and he flew up them. Violet followed, as all heads from the gallery leaned forward to be able to see the continuing action.

The deck was not a large area and the fencing took on a close quarter duel, as the swords flashed, almost faster than the eye could keep track of. Brutus now attacked Vi, backing him up into the helm rail, which Violet grabbed with his free hand, springing himself atop it.

Davey leaned closer to Betsy and quietly said next to her ear, "Watch this!"

Violet sprung from the rail, his sword held out to the side while he flipped back and over, landing on the lower deck in position to resume the swordplay.

Brutus took two steps, flung his blade skyward, then vaulted, pushing off the rail with his hands, then feet, somersaulting once, to land right in front of his foe and catch his sword.

Cheers erupted as the men resumed the clash of steel, Betsy turned to grin at Davey, who had been watching her face, as her mouth had fallen open.

Davey was laughing and slapping his knees, as he had seen this all performed before. He was more entertained by Betsy's reaction as she watched the men astound her.

Violet and Brutus circled and danced, sword meeting sword as the men sweated and tired. Brutus gained the advantage and backed Violet up against the stern rail, which Violet climbed behind him. Still facing Brutus and parrying his thrusts, Vi stepped back and then up, three times, until he stood upon the rail. Brutus walked forward, placed a hand upon Vi's chest, and pushed.