Chapter 49

Chapter 49

As we continue deeper into the forest, the trees start to loom over us, their shadows growing longer and darker. My heart begins to beat faster in my chest, and I can feel a sense of foreboding creeping over me. I can't shake off the feeling that we're being watched.

I feel a knot form in my stomach as were moving forward The darkness of night is all-encompassing, and I can barely see a few steps ahead of me. I cling tightly to Alexander's arm, grateful for the warmth and reassurance it provides.

Suddenly, a rustling in the bushes up ahead catches our attention. We both freeze, listening intently for any sign of movement. My heart races in my chest, and I can feel Alexander tense up beside me.

We hold our breath, waiting to see if anyone or anything is approaching. But after a few tense moments, the rustling dies down, and we breathe a collective sigh of relief. Alexander gives my hand a reassuring squeeze before we continue on.

Our eyes scan the forest for any signs of danger as we move forward. The sound of water can be heard in the distance, and we head towards it, hoping to find a stream or river that will lead us to our destination.

As we reach the stream, I can see a faint glow in the distance. My heart leaps with hope as I realize that we are close. We pick up our pace, knowing that we are running out of time. The urgency of the situation is palpable, and I feel a sense of determination wash over me.

As we make our way through the trees, I can feel my nerves starting to fray. Every sound makes me jump, and I'm constantly looking over my shoulder. But we make it past Lucian's clan without incident, and soon we're at the edge of the kingdom.

The sight before us takes my breath away. Eldrid is even more beautiful than I remember, with its towering walls and pristine buildings. But I also know that there's danger lurking in the shadows, and we need to be careful.

Kiki's words pull me out of my thoughts, and I look up to see her staring up at the towering walls of the castle. Alexander stands beside her, his arms crossed over his chest, his eyes narrowed in concentration. We're all thinking the same thing - we need to get inside the castle.

"We need to find a way in," Kiki says, her voice low and urgent.

Alexander nods in agreement, his eyes still fixed on the walls. "We can't just waltz in through the front gates. We need to find a more discreet entrance."

I start to scan the walls, trying to find any weakness or opening. But they seem impenetrable, with no visible weaknesses. My mind races as I try to come up with a solution. If we don't find a way inside soon, we could lose everything.

Excitement pulses through me as I rack my brain for a solution to our predicament. My eyes dart back and forth between Kiki and Alexander, my mind racing with possibilities. Then, an idea strikes me, and I feel a surge of confidence as I turn to face them.

"I have an idea," I say, my voice ringing out with newfound determination. "My father used to tell me stories about hidden tunnels in a foreign kingdom when I was little, so maybe he was talking about Eldrid! He told me how to enter the kingdom through the castle near the edge. What if he knows more about Eldrid than we think? If these passages or tunnels exist, maybe we can use them to our advantage."

Kiki's eyes light up with excitement at my suggestion, and I can feel my own excitement growing as I continue to speak. "That's perfect!" she exclaims. "Do you know where they are?"

I shake my head, feeling a small twinge of disappointment at my lack of specific knowledge. "Not exactly," I admit, "but I remember my father mentioning one that was located near the eastern edge of the kingdom. Maybe we can start there and see where it takes us."

Alexander nods. "Then that's where we'll start. Let's move."

Alexander listens to my suggestion and nods. "Then that's where we'll start. Let's move," he says, motioning for us to follow him. I can feel the weight of his expectations on my shoulders and I try to keep my nerves in check.

We move along the wall, staying low and trying to avoid detection. Every step we take feels heavy, like we're carrying the weight of the world on our shoulders. We can't afford to be caught, and the tension in the air is palpable. I keep my eyes peeled for any signs of danger, ready to react at a moment's notice.

As we approach the eastern edge of the kingdom, I point out a small opening in the wall. "There," I whisper, my heart pounding in my chest. "That's where the secret passage should be."

We approach the opening cautiously, peering inside. It's dark, and I can't see anything. I take a deep breath and prepare to move forward, but before I can even take a step, Alexander speaks up.

"I'll go first," he says, stepping forward. Kiki protests, but I know that Alexander is the best choice. He's strong and capable, and he'll be able to handle anything that comes our way.

I watch as he disappears into the darkness, my heart racing with anticipation. I can feel the weight of the mission on my shoulders, and I know that we're putting our lives on the line to accomplish it. But as scared as I am, I trust in Alexander's abilities and I know that we can do this together.

As we slip into the narrow passage, I feel the damp walls pressing in on us, making me feel uneasy. The passageway is so cramped and uncomfortable that I can hardly move, but I know it's our best chance of infiltrating the castle without being detected.