Chapter 37

Chapter 37

Kiki's words echo in my mind as I make my way towards the garden. I can't shake off the feeling of dread settling in my stomach. As I turn the corner, I spot James pacing back and forth. His worried expression doesn't go unnoticed as I approach him, and his face relaxes slightly when he sees me.

"Hey, Amelia," he greets me, his voice low and serious.

I return his greeting, trying my best to sound casual. "Hi, James. What are you up to today?"

He pauses for a moment before answering, his eyes scanning the garden as if searching for something. "Just keeping an eye out for any trouble," he finally replies.

I can't help but feel grateful for his concern. "Thank you, James," I say, the sense of dread still looming in the back of my mind.

He nods, and we stand in silence for a few moments, the only sound being the gentle rustling of leaves in the breeze.

"You know," James finally speaks up, breaking the silence. "If you ever need someone to talk to, I'm here."

I'm taken aback by his offer, but I appreciate it nonetheless. "Thank you, James," I reply, my voice barely above a whisper.

As we part ways, I can't help but feel a small sense of comfort knowing that I have someone to turn to if things get worse.

"Maybe you wanna go for a walk in the forest? It is truly beautiful at this time of the day"

I'm standing in the garden with James, a vampire I've only just met. He had asked me to accompany him into the woods and I'm considering it. I'm not sure if it's a good idea, but something about James seems different from the other vampires I've met before. Maybe it wouldn't hurt to spend some time with him.

As I'm considering my options, Kiki's voice interrupts my thoughts. "Amelia! Come here, please!" she calls out.

I turn towards her voice and see Kiki waving her hand in my direction. I take a deep breath and turn back to James. "I'm sorry, I have to go," I say, "Maybe we can do this another time?"

James nods in understanding and I quickly make my way over to Kiki. "What's up?" I ask as I approach her.

Kiki looks at me with a concerned expression. "I just wanted to make sure you're okay. You seemed a little hesitant with that guy," she says.

I smile at her reassuringly. "I'm fine, Kiki. I just want to get to know him," I explain.

Kiki nods in agreement. "That's understandable. Just be careful, okay?" she says.

I nod in agreement and turn back to James, who is still standing in the garden. I can't help but feel a little disappointed that I won't be able to spend more time with him today, but I know that it's for the best.

James looks worried again and begins to back away from me. "I should go," he says quickly. "But maybe we can go for that walk another time?"

"Sure," I say, feeling a little disappointed, so i follow Kiki back to the castle.

As I turn to her again, I can see that she looks concerned. "Amelia, I just got some news from the guards," she says, her voice low. "The guy from the clan, you know, the son, has been spotted close to the castle again. We need to be extra careful."

Do we even know how he looks?

My heart races at the news. So the leader's son is still out there, lurking around the castle. I wonder what he wants and if he poses a threat to us.

"Okay, I'll be careful." I say, trying to sound brave. But inside, I'm filled with fear.

I'm glad that I have a vampire friend, James, to protect me if Lucian's son shows up.

The day turns into evening, then into night.

I hear a soft tapping sound on my window and I turn to see James outside. I feel a little nervous as I open the window, wondering what he wants. I realise he had thrown small rocks out.

"Hey, Amelia," he says, smiling at me.

"Hey, James. What are you doing here?" I ask.

"I wanted to talk to you," he says, looking down at his feet for a moment before meeting my eyes again. "I was thinking, maybe we could go for a walk in the forest tonight. It's really beautiful at night, and I could show you around."

I take a moment to weigh the risks against the possible reward, and finally, I nod my agreement. "Okay. Let's do it."

James grins at me, and I can see the excitement in his eyes. "Great! I'll meet you outside the castle gates in an hour."

I watch as he disappears into the night, feeling a little bit scared but also exhilarated at the thought of going on an adventure with James.

As I'm getting ready, I hear a knock on my door. It's Kiki, looking a little bit worried.

"Amelia, I just wanted to make sure you're okay," she says, glancing at me with concern. "I don't want you to go out alone at night. It's not safe."

I hesitate for a moment, wondering if I should tell her about my plans with James. But I decide to keep it a secret for now. "I'll be fine, Kiki. Don't worry about me."

Kiki nods reluctantly, still looking worried. "Just be careful, okay? And if you need anything, don't hesitate to come to me."

I thank her and she leaves, and I finish getting ready for my walk with James, feeling both nervous and excited at the same time.

As I sneak out of my room, I feel a rush of adrenaline. I know this isn't a good idea, but I can't resist the temptation of spending time with James. As soon as I reach the designated spot, I see him waiting for me with a wide grin on his face.

"Amelia, you're finally here," James says, holding out his hand.

I take his hand, and we start walking into the dark forest. It's pitch black, and I can hardly see anything, but James seems to know his way around.

James grins widely, his excitement palpable. "You won't regret it, Amelia," he says, taking my hand and leading me towards the door. I follow him out, a mix of excitement and anxiety bubbling inside me.