Birthday Wishes (After Hours)

Start from the beginning

“After that we..” George contemplates, tapping his chin with his finger softly in thought, “..we cuddle, watch the Lion King, and go to sleep.” Dream pouts, dragging his finger across George’s chest in random shapes and figures.

“You don’t want to do anything special, at all?” he tries again, but George shakes his head.

“I like it low-key, it doesn’t all have to be glitter and glamour, and big parties with a lot of people,” he answers, closing his eyes for a moment as sudden sleepiness overcomes him. “As long as it’s with you, it’s special enough,” he mumbles after it. Dream sighs and lays his hand still, feeling George’s chest lift and drop slowly under his touch.

“Okay, McDonald’s, cuddling, and the Lion King it is,” he says softly, closing his eyes as well.

A blissful moment of silence ensues, in which both nearly drift off into a peaceful slumber under the sound of the rain coming down. That is until Dream speaks up again.

“You said ‘home’,” he mutters against George’s shoulder.

“Hmm?”

“You didn’t say ‘on the way to my apartment’, or ‘your house’, you said ‘home’,” he clarifies.

“Hm, I guess I did,” George answers softly, wrapping his other arm tightly around Dream as well. They breathe slowly against each other, Dream reveling in the feeling that his place has become more than his own.

“I do have a birthday wish,” George tells him suddenly.

“What is it?” Dream mumbles back sleepily, George’s shoulder feeling more and more like the very best pillow he could ever wish for.

“For my birthday, I’d like to move in,” George states, waking Dream up completely in a matter of seconds, “—permanently.” Dream sits up immediately and grabs George’s face in both his hands, watching the prettiest boy he had ever seen crack the biggest grin.

“Yes,” is all Dream can answer with wide eyes, before pressing their lips firmly together in a shared excitement over the new development within their relationship. “Yes, yes, yes,” he mumbles softly against George’s mouth, too eager to stop kissing. He only stops when he gets a new idea.

He breaks the kiss by pulling away and standing up, as George looks at him in slight confusion. His intentions become clear within a singular moment when Dream’s arms scoop up George and he hangs him over his shoulder, holding his legs tightly while George screeches.

“Dream!” he giggles, slamming his fists jokingly against Dream’s back while Dream carries him across the room, also laughing loudly when George screeches again for the whole neighborhood to hear when he lands a playful slap on the man’s ass.

“You can’t escape!” Dream cackles as they disappear beyond the doorframe that leads to their bedroom.

———
November 1st

“Let’s hear it for the birthday boy!” Dream announces as they walk into the office building, joined at the hip with Dream’s hand laying comfortably on George’s lower back. The hallway is decorated with poorly hung garlands and a few balloons, which George guesses is the work of his colleagues who cheer and clap from their respective offices, smiles on their faces as the pair passes by them.

“Let’s not!” George yells in response, earning some laughter from different rooms until he gets to his own.

“I’ll see you at lunch baby,” Dream says, quickly pecking George’s lips before looking at him with adoration-filled eyes.

“Swear you don’t have anything planned,” George tells him, pointing an accusatory finger at his chest.

“I swear I don’t not have anything planned,” Dream answers with a mischievous grin. George’s eyebrows knit together as he processes the sentence, but before he can ask about it, Dream turns around and walks off to his own office.