Chapter fifty-nine - Getting Ready

'Nor!'

I opened my eyes and saw Chuck hanging right above me.

'Finally.' He sighed and sat down.

'Morning.' Thomas said from the other side of Chuck.

'Hey.' I yawned.

'Next time we're sleeping in your hut.' Chuck decided.

'What?' I laughed. 'Was that the reason I needed to sleep here? So the next time you could sleep in my hut?'

Thomas let out a chuckle. 'We're not doing that, Chuck.' He laughed.

'You are not doing that, but I am. I'm her cousin.' Chuck responded, proud of his case. 'Now get up. Y'all need to run.'

I remembered I was a Runner and immediately got up. I was still wearing my daily clothes.

'Normally Minho would give you a training, but since everything is so hectic, we don't have time for that.' Thomas explained. 'But he will let you choose a weapon.'

'How late is it?' I looked at the sky, which was still dark.

'Early. As I said, Minho's going to give you some stuff.' Thomas replied.

'Let's go!' Chuck grabbed some blankets and started walking. I and Thomas followed.

To my surprise, I slept very well. I didn't expect the ground to be almost just as comfortable as a bed. But, as much as I liked sleeping next to the two boys, I'd rather slept next to Newt in a bed. I hoped he wasn't too upset about everything and that we would make it up.

After dropping the blankets off at the Homestead, we got breakfast.

'Thank you, Fry.' I smiled when the Cook handed me some food.

'Enjoy.' He smiled too. 'Be careful today.'

'I will, thanks.'

I, Thomas, and Chuck sat down at a table and not even a minute later Minho joined us.

'Ready for running?' Minho asked after I finished my food.

'Yes.' Me, Minho, and Thomas got up and handed Frypan our dirty plates. 'I'll see you at dinner, Chuck!'

'Bye, Nor! Be careful!' Chuck shouted back.

'Let's go.' To my surprise, Minho walked into the Homestead and went down the stairs. He grabbed a key out of his pocket and opened a door. It was dark in the basement and my eyes had to get used to it. We walked into a room and with wide eyes, I looked around. Dozens of weapons were hanging on walls, or lying on tables.

'This is the Weapon Room.' Minho explained. 'Every Runner gets to pick a weapon for in the maze. Choose carefully.'

Slowly I walked around the room and looked at the weapons. My eye caught a small knife in the corner of the room. It was about four inches long and seemed perfect to defend myself with.

'This one.' I motioned at the knife and Minho walked closer to me.

'Aha, that's a dagger. Nice choice.' He grabbed the knife off the wall and handed it to me, along with a case to put the dagger in.

'Where did y'all get all of this?' Still stunned, I looked around the room.

'The Box send 'em up.'

Minho walked up to a drawer and grabbed something out of it. 'Here, take these too.' He handed me... underwear?

'What?' I laughed and looked at the black boxer.

'Runnie Undies.' Minho replied. 'Keeps you nice and comfy.'

I let out a chuckle and put the underwear in my pocket. Minho also handed me a black Runner vest.

'Do I need to wear this while running?' I looked at my long black pants and Newt's sweater.

'You can go change.' Minho shrugged.

'I'll do that.' We walked up the stairs again.

'Don't forget the Undies!' Minho shouted before I disappeared into my hut.

I looked through all the clothes I had, trying to find something good. Every piece of clothing I found was thick, so that didn't seem like the best option. I didn't want to burn because of the heat in the maze. My eye caught green shorts and a black top. Something I had never worn before because it was too showing. I looked through my other clothes, but nothing else seemed good for running.

'Minho!' I shouted.

'Yeah?' I heard Minho ask from outside.

'Could you get me these gloves you're wearing too?'

I didn't want everyone to see my wrists if I was going to wear the sleeveless top.

After a few minutes, Minho opened the door slightly and handed me the brown gloves.

'Thanks.'

Quickly I put everything on and looked at myself. There was no way I was going to wear it. As I thought before, it was too showing.

 As I thought before, it was too showing

'Hurry up, Nora!' Minho shouted.

'There's no way I'm going to wear this!' I yelled back.

'Yes, you are! Now get out of your hut, we need to go!'

'Let me put something else on!'

I looked for something else, but Minho was impatient. 'Either you come out or we're coming in!'

'Fine, then.' I sighed and opened the door. Minho and Thomas looked up and down.

'Where have you been hiding that?' Minho asked, stunned. Thomas his mouth dropped open.

'Minho!' I hit the back of his head. 'Can we just go?' The two boys nodded and we started walking to the Doors.

'If Newt sees you like this he'll get some problems again.' Minho whispered and a grin formed on his face.

'Shut up.' I said. 'But now we're talking about Newt, can I say goodbye to him?'

'Say goodbye?' Minho repeated. 'It's not like you're going to move.'

I rolled my eyes. 'Can I?'

'No. We don't have much time. We're already late.' Minho kept walking.

'Fine.' I sighed.

And with that, we ran into the maze.