Chapter fifty - The Pit

A/N: Fifty chapters already, wow! Thank you all so much for the votes and reads <3 don't forget to comment sometime, I love reading them 🫶

~

'We don't even know what this stuff is.' Newt said.

Me, Newt, Thomas, the Med-jacks, and Teresa were standing around Alby's bed.

'We don't know who sent it or why it came up here with you.' Newt looked at Teresa. 'For all we know this could kill him.'

'He's already dying.' Thomas commented. 'Look at him.'

Thomas had a point. Alby didn't look well. His veins turned black and his breaths were unsteady.

'Come on. It's worth a try.' Thomas added.

Hesitantly Newt looked at Alby, who was groaning.

'All right.' Newt finally said. 'Do it.'

Thomas grabbed the serum and bend down over Alby. Suddenly Alby's eyes shot open and he grabbed Thomas his shirt. Immediately Newt and the Med-jacks tried to pull Thomas away from Alby's strong grip.

'You did this!' Spit flew everywhere while Alby yelled. 'It's your fault!'

Teresa grabbed the syringe out of Thomas his hand and stabbed Alby with it. He let go of Thomas and his breaths got steadier. Out of breath, we all looked at the leader.

'From now on, someone watches him around the clock.' Newt decided.

Suddenly Gally walked in and glanced at us. 'Newt, it's time.'

Newt gave me a small smile and followed Gally out, probably to the pits.

Before I was going to Logan, I wanted to talk to Thomas. I had barely talked to him in the last few days. 'Hey, Thomas?'

The boy looked up. 'Yeah?'

'Did you guys find anything else in the maze?' I asked.

'Yes. We think the Griever object is some kind of key. When we were in section seven, the light turned green and a door opened. We're thinking it's the place where the Grievers go in and out.' He explained.

'So that is our way out?'

'It's possible.' Thomas replied. 'But section seven is closed right now, so we can't go in there for a few days. We'll have to wait.'

'Okay.' I smiled lightly. 'I'll see you around.'

Thomas gave me a nod and I rushed outside to find Logan. I caught him sitting on the ground with his back leaning against a tree. His dark hair hung over his eyes and he looked at the grass. I noticed he seemed slightly sad.

'Hey.' I said when I walked closer to him. Logan immediately got up when he saw me. He hugged me tightly and I didn't hesitate to hug him back.

'I'm so sorry, Nora. I didn't mean to fight Newt.' Logan let go of me and sat down again. I did too. 'I tried to control it but then blurted out something stupid.'

'Logan. It's fine.' I looked at him. 'You couldn't do anything about it.'

'If I didn't say such stupid things-.'

'Logan.' I repeated. 'Stop apologizing. It wasn't your fault.'

Logan's frown disappeared and his eyes softened. 'Where's Newt? I want to talk to him.'

'In the pit.' I replied. 'But I don't think it's a good idea for you two to talk right now.'

'I won't hurt him again, I promise.' Logan quickly answered.