Chapter three - Jobs

'You ready to try some jobs?' Newt asked me when we finished our food.

I nodded and got up.

'You're gonna start with the Slicers.' Newt said as we walked to building I never saw before. 'That's the Blood House.' He motioned at it.

I definitely did not like this job. All the blood and killing animals was not really my thing.

'Winston is the keeper, he'll help you.'

I just nodded again and Newt opened the door to the Blood House. A terrible smell entered my nose and I almost had to hold my mouth to not throw up.

'I'll leave you with Winston now.' Newt squeezed his nose with his hand. 'Good luck.' He quickly walked away from the awful smell.

A boy with a brown shirt and dark hair walked out of the Blood House. 'Hey, Greenie. I'm Winston.' He put out his hand for me to shake it.

'Hey.' I shook his hand and we walked into the horrible smelling hut.

~

'For god's sake, I don't want to see any more meat today.' I grumbled as I joined Minho.

'Sucks for you, Greenie.' Minho motioned at their plates that were full of meat.

'Great.' I sighed as I leaned on my elbow.

'Hello there.' Out of sudden a boy with dark blonde hair sat down next to me. I looked at him and moved a little to the side.

'What are you doing, Adam?' Minho asked in an annoyed tone.

'Just saying hello to our new Greenie.' He looked at me with a grin on his face and I immediately moved to the side more.

I didn't feel like meeting more boys. I'd met enough the last days and the only ones that I trusted a slight bit were Newt and Minho.
I didn't know why, but I had a hard time trusting people. It took me really long to fully trust them or even actually trust them.

Minho saw my uncomfortableness and looked at the boy. 'Adam, leave.' He said in a serious tone.

'Alright, alright.' The boy quickly got up when he saw Newt limping over towards our table, with a mad look towards Adam.

'You okay there?' Newt asked when he saw Adam walking away from our table.

'Yeah, thanks.'

Newt put his plate full of meat down on the table and started eating. After a while he looked at me. 'Not eating?' He looked at the empty table.

'I've seen enough meat today.' My stomach hurt a little because of the disgusting things in the Blood House, too disgusting to talk about.

'I certainly do not want to be a Slicer.' I sighed at the thought.

'I'll keep that in mind.' Newt laughed.

Which job am I going to try tomorrow?' I asked the boys.

'Most of the day Track-hoe and you're gonna make dinner with Fry.' Newt explained.

'Alright, thanks.'

The boys soon finished their meals.

'I'm gonna chill in the Homestead.' Minho picked his empty plate up and walked over to the Homestead.

Me and Newt were silent for a moment.

'So,' Newt started after a while. 'You like it here?' He asked again.

'I think so.' I shrugged.

Silence again.

The two of us just sat there, looking at the table. It wasn't uncomfortable, but not comfortable either.