Chapter thirty - Nightmares

After dinner Newt asked me to come with him. I agreed and followed him up the wooden tower. Together we watched the sunset. The sky was pink mixed with orange, it looked beautiful.

'I'm sorry,' Newt started. 'I'm sorry about being mad at you.'

'I'm sorry for kicking you.' I replied and Newt let out a small chuckle.

'Do you still want to be a Runner, though?' Newt asked.

I hesitated for a moment. 'Yes.' I finally replied.

Newt let out a sigh and looked at me. 'Why?'

'Being a Med-jack is kind of boring and I'm curious about the maze. I want to find a way out of here.' I explained.

Newt didn't reply for a few seconds. 'It's dangerous.' He said after a while.

'Yeah, you already made that very clear, Newt.' I muttured.

'I just don't want you to go out there,' Newt paused. 'I don't want you to end up like me.' He mumbled and looked at his leg.

My heart broke as I realized I had awakened Newt's feelings from before. He didn't want me to go out there because he was scared I would feel the same like he did.

'Newt-' I was speechless. 'I don't want you to feel like that.' I lay my hand down on his.

'If you really want to go in the maze, that's fine. But I can't forgive myself if you get hurt.' Newt spoke quietly.

'I won't get hurt.' I replied. Newt pulled me closer to him and I lay my head down on his shoulder. I felt comfortable in his arms.

'Are you okay?' Newt asked.

'Yes.' I lied, thinking about the cuts on my wrist. 'Are you?'

'Yes.' Newt replied with a small chuckle. Slowly he stroked my wrist, but of course it had to be the one with the cuts.

I clenched my jaw at the stinging. 'Newt,' I started. 'It hurts.' My voice was hoarse.

'I'm sorry.' Newt immediately let go off my wrist.

'It's fine.' I quickly said, worried he was gonna feel guilty.

'No, no, it's not fine.' Newt straightened his back. 'I don't want to hurt you. Can I-' He paused. 'Can I see?' He looked at my long sleeve.

'You want to see?' I repeated nervously. 'Why?'

'Yes.' Newt didn't answer why he wanted to see. His brown eyes looked so sweet and I couldn't resist.

'Okay.' I mumbled. Ashamed I slowly rolled up my sleeve and averted my eyes from his.

'Why did you do it again?' Newt's voice cracked as he gently grabbed my arm.

I didn't reply and looked down.

'You need to stop doing this, love.' Newt's voice sounded so broken that it made tears burn in my eyes.

'I'll try.' I whispered. Newt wrapped his arms around me.

'Just come to me when you feel like doing it, okay?' Newt quietly said.

I nodded slowly and buried my head in his shoulder.

~

At night Nora, Newt, Alby, Thomas and Teresa sneaked over to Minho's room.

'Do we really have to do this?' Teresa sighed.

'We'll just see what this Gally wants, okay?' Thomas whispered. Quietly they knocked on the door to Minho's room. The kids heard a few sounds coming from the other side, until the door opened.