Chapter five - Med-Jack

'I'm gonna go to the Med-jacks. It was nice talking to you, Gally. I guess I'll see you around later.' I smiled and said goodbye, then headed off to the med-hut.

'Hey, Nora. How's your hand doing?' Jeff asked when I walked in.

'It's getting better.' I replied.

'Good, so we don't get that much patients every day. Basically Builders and Slicers with a small cut,' Clint said. 'Most of the time.' He added.

'Most of the time?' I repeated.

'Yeah, we had a few really bad injuries in the past.' Clint said.

'Like what?' I asked curious.

'Well, a few people got stung and-.'

'Hold on.' I interrupted Clint. 'Stung?'

'They didn't tell you?'

'No, what does it mean?' I asked confused.

'Do you know what a Griever is?' Jeff asked and I shook my head.

'God, these slintheads don't tell you anything, do they?' Clint chuckled. 'Anways. A Griever is a weird monster thing in the maze, they can sting you and then you go trough the Changing.' He quickly explained, without much detail.

'Wow.' I sighed. I didn't exactly understand what Clint meant, but I let go off it, the Grievers scared me enough already.

'Do a lot of people get stung?' I asked.

'No. Luckily it only happened two times. Those two times were probably the worst injuries we ever had, except for- doesn't matter.' Clint seemed to hesitate for a moment. 'Let's just start your training.' Clint said.

I frowned a bit because Clint interrupted himself, but quickly let go off it.

'While we wait for someone to get injured, we can teach you some things. Like how to clean a wound or wrap a bandage.' Jeff sat down on a chair and motioned for me to do too.

'Okay. Imagine if someone comes in here and tell us they hammered a nail in their finger, what do we do?'

'First you go see if the nail is out of the finger, if not you make sure it is and remove every last piece of it. Then you clean the wound and see how bad it is, so you can put on a plaster or a bandage.' I explained, surprised because I knew so much about it.

'Exactly that, good job. Now let's just practice it, alright? Just imagine that I have a wound on my wrist and you need to treat it. All the stuff is on the table.' Clint motioned at the table next to us, it was full with bottles, bandages and medicines.

Clint laid his arm down on the table so I could treat his wrist.

~

'What's one of the worst things y'all had to treat, except for being stung?' I asked while I practiced on Clint's wrist. The three of us had been talking for a while.

'Hmm.' Clint thought for a second.

'I think when someone broke their leg.' Jeff answered.

'Oh, wow. How'd that happen?' I wondered while wrapping a bandage around Clint's wrist.

'Uhh.' Clint hesitated. 'I don't know actually.' He gave Jeff a glance.

'All done.' I quickly changed the subject when I saw Jeff and Clint giving each other glances. Clint wrist was completely treated now.

'Looks good.' Clint looked at his bandaged wrist. 'I think you might have an actual chance of being a Med-jack, if you'd like that.'

'I think I like this job the most of all, so yes, I guess.' I smiled.

Suddenly someone walked into the room.

'Yo, Winston.' Clint greeted him. 'What's wrong?'

'I cut my finger.' Winston sighed and sat down on the chair as if he did it everyday.

'Do you think you'll be able to handle it, Greenie?' The two boys looked at me and I nodded.

Winston had a cut in his finger, and luckily it wasn't that deep. I cleaned it and put a plaster on top of it.

'Done already. It isn't that bad.' I said as I threw the dirty cotton pads in the trash can.

'You did great, Nora. It's time for dinner already.' The boys got up from their chairs. 'We're gonna get food, you wanna come with us?' Clint asked.

'No, I'll be fine. I'll join the others, but I want to clean this mess up first.' I looked at the table which was covered in bandages, unordered medicines, pills and dirty tissues.

'Sure. See ya.' The boys walked out of the room.

I sorted all the pills and medicines and threw the tissues away in the trash. I actually liked being a Med-jack, I was quite good at it and Clint and Jeff were nice.

After cleaning up I got my food. I thanked Frypan and walked over to Minho and Newt, with a full plate in my hands.

'Hello there, Greenie. Long no see.' Minho looked at me.

'Ahw, did you miss me already?' I said with an sarcastic tone.

Minho laughed and continued eating his food.

'Did you have fun?' Newt said in a not very nice tone.

'Yeah, actually. I met some new people and I like being a Med-jack. I hope I'll get that as my job.'

'Nice.' Minho said.

'This is really random, but, what do I look like?' The question just popped up in my mind.

'You have dark blonde hair and brown mixed with green eyes. Not that bad.' Minho replied.

Newt muttered something under his breath, which I couldn't understand. 'Say it a little louder, Newtie?' Minho teased with a grin. He had definitely heard what Newt said and I got curious.

"What did he say?" I asked, but Minho interrupted me.

'Jesus christ!' Minho suddenly said. I looked at him and frowned. 'What happened to you?' He looked at my bandaged hand.

'Ooh, that. I'm not that good with hammers.' I said.

'You okay?' Minho asked.

'Yeah, it's alright.'

We continued eating in silence, and especially Newt. He was just staring at the trees and didn't say anything.

I gave Minho a questioning glance and he gave me a 'he-is-not-having-his-best-day' look.

After a while I got up to hand Frypan my empty plate. When I walked back to the table Minho was gone.

'You okay there?' I asked Newt when I sat down next to him again.

'Yeah.' A quick smile appeared on his face. 'Just didn't have my best day.' He added when I frowned.

'Okay, good.' I said as I looked at Newt. He looked tired. 'Hey Newt, I think I'll sleep just sleep in the Homestead tonight. You can sleep in your room.' I got up.

'No, no, no. Your room will be done tomorrow, so I can just wait one more day. It's fine.' He quickly said as he got up too.

'Whatever you say.' I sighed, knowing he would never agree with me sleeping in the Homestead.

'Good night then.' I said goodbye and walked to Newt's hut.