Chapter 45: Alone Together

Ruby P.O.V.

It is early morning in Mistral.

I'm lying on the ground on the patio outside of the training room. I watch a group of four birds flying together, before one of them flies away from the group. As I watch it fly, I see Yang peek over her head.

"You're up early." I smile.

"Hey sis."

"Boop."

Yang lets her hair down and uses it to tickle my nose. I giggle affectionately at Yang's action. I sit up as Yang sits down next to me. I sigh.

"What are you doing up?"

"Can't fall back to sleep."

"Ah, me neither."

"Well, fortunately, coffee exists." Weiss carries a tray with three cups of coffee and walks over to join us. She lowers the tray down so Yang can grab a cup. I protest.

"No, please!"

"Don't worry, I put in blasphemous amounts of cream and sugar, just for you."

She holds the cup out in front for me.

"Oh yeah! Nice Weiss strikes again!"

Suddenly, Weiss pulls the cup away just as I was about to grab it.

"I will pour this on you and it will burn."

She hands the cup to me as I nervously giggle. Weiss sits down next to us and grabs her cup of coffee after placing the tray down next to her. Yang smiles.

"Can't believe we're actually in Mistral."

I ask, "That's what you can't believe?"

"Well, yeah! And all the other magic and stuff. But... Okay, you know what I mean!" Weiss smiles.

"I honestly wasn't sure if I'd ever see you two again."

"Well, here's to defying expectations."

Yang and Weiss clink cups together, while I gulp my cup down in one go, opening one eye to glance at the others' cups.

"I just wish Blake and Y/N could be here with us."

"Yeah..." Weiss shakes her head.

"Don't worry. They are in Menagerie and they should be rallying the support of the Faunus. It's a sacrifice to make sure the White Fang isn't on our tails at Haven, at the very least not like they were at Beacon..."

============================================================

Blake P.O.V.

I lean against the railing on the balcony of the family home. She looks up into the night sky as Velvet calls out for me from inside her home.

"Hey Blake! You ready to go?"

"Be right there!"

I feel a note taped to the wooden railing of the balcony. I grab it and reads the message written down:

"B

Things going too far.

Not sure what to do.

Find a quiet spot,

I'll find you.

Come alone. Please.

-I."

Blake looks around a bit before hearing the sliding door open. She quickly places the note in her coat. I hear Y/N open the door.