Chapter 41: Dread in the Air

M/N P.O.V.

"The City of Mistral." Qrow says as I nod.

"About time we got here."

Qrow, Nora, Neo, Cinder, Pyrrha, Ruby, Coco, and I are walking through a stone brick tunnel illuminated by translucent lanterns. Nora hums.

"Whose idea was it to walk again?"

Pyrrha says, "It was Y/N's. And we all agreed to it because it's the most efficient way to travel here." Coco smirks.

"Well, we did face many obstacles. Broken airships, destroyed settlements... Oh, and all those people and monsters that tried to mince us." Ruby scoffs.

"Pfft, we were fine. Only one of us almost died." Qrow turns to Ruby.

"Hey." I place my hands behind my back.

"Don't forget that Black Tyger was THIS close to killing you all."

Neo puts her hands on her hips and looks at Cinder as she smiles.

"Hey."

Neo giggles in response. Coco walks with a sway in her hips.

"So, how much farther to Haven?" I look at Coco and smile.

"Almost there. But Qrow and I figured we'd take you kids on the scenic route."

"Been a while since we've taken a scenic route. Let's go that way then to reduce the likelihood of Grimm attacking."

We approach a pair of large, wooden double doors, which Qrow opens, flooding the tunnel with sunlight. Ruby runs out onto a massive platform that doubles as an elevator, stopping at the railing to gaze out over the city in wide-eyed awe.

"Wow!" The others join her to take in the view of buildings and stone stairways perched on mountains. "This... is... awesome!" Coco nods in agreement as she takes off her shades.

"This is certainly beautiful."

Below us, large crowds of people are going about their day - walking around, talking and buying merchandise legally and illegally. Qrow takes a swig of his flask.

"It's certainly something." Ruby notices a kiosk selling weapons.

"Oh my gosh, look at all the weapons!"

"Vendors here'll sell you just about anything... whether they should or not." Coco looks around even more.

"They really made the most out of these mountains."

"Every inch. Stay away from the lower levels. The higher up you go, the nicer it gets." Nora points up the mountain.

"And we are going up!"

============================================================

Weiss P.O.V.

The Atlesian cargo ship I'm on flies over an enormous lake.

"So, how much farther?"

"We're in the home stretch now." In the pilot's box of the ship, I stand in the back, leaning against a wall with her arms crossed. "No more stops from here to Mistral. Sorry for the long trip. Keeping us off the radar's been harder than I thought. Lots of air traffic around northern Anima."

"It's fine. I... just hope I haven't been a burden." The pilot chuckles.

"You and your money are more than welcome on this ship, kid." The ship's radio suddenly picks up a transmission. "What the...?"

He reaches over and adjusts a slider, evening out the wavelengths on the screen.

"Is everything okay?"