Chapter 32: Moving On

Third Person P.O.V.

As Ruby sleeps on the couch, a pair of voices echo from nearby.

"It's alright. I got ya, kiddo. I got ya."

Pause. Radio static can be heard in the background. A sigh is heard.

"Nothing."

"Just turn it off. Without the CCT, there's no point."

"Communication down across the entire Kingdom, no way to contact the outside world... and Ozpin's still missing."

"Yeah."

"This is bad, Qrow."

"Yeah, this is bad."

============================================================

Ruby is asleep in a bed, wearing gray pajamas. Birds are tweeting and sunlight is streaming onto the wall behind the bed's headboard. After a few seconds, she wakes up and looks over to see her father asleep in a chair. She sits up and sighs quietly, causing Taiyang to stir awake.

"Ruby!" He gets up and runs to kneel by her bed. "You're awake!"

"Ugh... what happened?"

"Pyrrha carried you back, unconscious. She and Y/N got you out of there, though, and brought you home safe."

Ruby looks down in thought for a split second, then looks at Taiyang.

"Wait! Yang! Is she alright!?"

"Uh... She's uh... she's gonna be alright. I think she's just... I think it's just gonna take some time for her to get used to things. She's too strong to let this stop her." He covers his eyes for a moment, sniffling, then looks up, smiling. "I'm just glad to have my girls back at home."

"What happened to the school?! And Vale?! Were they able to clear out the Grimm?"

Y/N is leaning in the doorway, chewing on a piece of wheat.

"Things at Vale are under control, but the school... not so. That Wyvern doesn't seem to be dead. You did a number on it, but it's not disappearing. It's just kind of frozen, encased in stone. I know that may not sound too bad, but it keeps attracting more Grimm to the school."

Ruby tilts her head.

"I did... what?"

"Hmm?"

"You said I did a number on it. What do you mean?"

"Pyrrha and I went up to confront Cinder and I was giving her a choice, all you saw was her pulling a bow on me. I brought Cinder here since I wasn't going to leave her to die, but she lost her left eye to your silver eyes. I'll let your uncle Qrow explain what you did to the Grimm since things are kind of a mess."

"It's always a mess." Ruby and Taiyang look to see Qrow suddenly standing in the room, near the door. He finishes off the contents of his flask before continuing. "Mind if we have a minute, Tai?"

"What, I can't stay here?!"

"Tai. Please."

Taiyang stands up, sighs, and then leans in to kiss Ruby on the forehead.

"I'm glad you're alright." He starts walking away. "I'll go make us some tea."

Taiyang glares at Qrow on the way out, but the latter doesn't appear to care. As Qrow approaches Ruby's bed, he grabs the chair and drags it with him. He then spins it around to face the bed and sits in it with a significant slouch, crossing one leg over the other.

"So, how you feeling?"

"Um... I kind of hurt... all over." Qrow chuckles.

"That makes sense, after what you did." He crosses his arms.