Chapter 44: Known by its Song

Qrow P.O.V.

As rain is pouring outside, I open up a sliding door leading into a small restaurant. A man can be seen sleeping at a table in the corner, while the Ramen Shop Owner stands behind the counter sharpening his kitchen knife on a wood block. I walk up to the owner, who is still paying attention to sharpening his knife.

"Regular? Or the Special?"

"I'm actually looking for someone, goes by the name Shiro Wan. Ever heard of him? I heard he's a regular around here."

"Who's asking?"

"Hey, I'm not some cop if that's what you mean. I need Shiro for a gig. We go way back."

"Way back, huh? So, he's a friend of yours." I rub my chin.

"Hm, yeah, I'd say so. He's a pretty alright guy."

"Well, in that case..." Suddenly, his tone turns hostile as he points his knife threateningly at Qrow. "You tell that jerk that he better not show his ugly face in here until he pays me the Lien he owes me!!" I'm taken aback.

"Uh, did I say friend? Heh heh. I, uh- I meant acquaintance." The owner angrily slams his knife into the counter. I back away slowly. "Really, we're just colleagues! Heh. Anyways, thanks for your time, buddy. I'll just be taking off now."

I exit the restaurant, quickly closing the sliding door. I quickly turn around, leaning against the door. I take a drink from my flask before pulling out my Scroll, which has a list of 'CONTACTS' with the names M/N and I are looking for.

I cross off Shiro's name and see M/N.

"How'd it go?" I sigh.

"Great start."

Suddenly, the owner's knife is stabbed through the door cloth, barely missing M/N's head as she yelps.

M/N and I walk up to several people asking if they know any of the Huntsmen on his list: first, a pair of two men standing on the rainy street. Next, to a one-eyed, blonde blacksmith selling her wares. Then, we seek the help of a beat-up man filled with bruises, resting while two other men are currently fighting in a match. After every person we ask, my expression and body language grows more aggravated as M/N does as well, and each time, the number of Huntsmen we cross off the list increases.

Finally, we walk up to a small house with boarded-up windows. I look at my Scroll for my two remaining contacts, the first of which had been crossed out. M/N nods.

"Heather Shields."

M/N knocks on the door. A group of small children is seen near the house. After M/N turns around from looking at them, since there's been no response, she bangs it loudly with her otter tail. As she's about to bang on the door again, a man opens up the door.

"Oh, uh, hey there. I'm looking for Heather?" The man just stares back at her. "Look, pal, we've had a rough day. Do you know where she is or not?" A girl pops up from behind the man.

"Daddy? Does she know where Mommy is?"

Having realized that Heather was missing in action, or worse, M/N immediately regrets her mistake.

"I um... I'm sorry to bother you."

The man and his daughter go back into their house. M/N and I walk back out into the rain. I remove my flask from my shirt and consider taking another drink from it, but M/N grabs my hand and shakes her head, so I put it away.

At the park, we look up at the Mistral Bounty mission boards.

I sigh and take a seat on a nearby bench, realizing that all of my contacts, let alone many others on the mission board, were nowhere to be found. M/N leans her head down.