Chapter 39: Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back

Yang P.O.V.

I lift up my head, stretching my arms as Dad and I ready for a fight.

Taiyang takes a swing at me with his left hand, but I easily block it with my robotic wrist, pushing his hand away from me. The repeats with his right and my left, only this time I use the momentum to turn and come back at my father with a roundhouse kick. Taiyang bends backwards to dodge it, his legs in a lunge. He gives me a solid punch, pushing me back a few feet.

Nearby, Zwei watches the two of us spar, panting happily by a stump. Beside him is a low stool with two white towels. His head changes angles, oscillating to the sounds of grunts and contact. Abruptly he holds his head straight and makes a noise of surprise.

Taiyang stands alone and moves forward, doing his own roundhouse kick. I join both hands atop each other to block Tai's landing foot. With a loud cry, I push it up and back. Taiyang regains his footing in a flip while I wait for his landing. Using my robotic arm, I knock him back with a single hit.

Holding onto his right bicep, Taiyang slides through the dirt, his feet flat on the ground until he comes to a stop.

"Whoa, that thing packs a punch!"

"We've been at this for weeks. I get it, you wanna make sure I can still fight. I think I'm doing just fine."

"You're close." He stands upright, no longer nursing his arm. Walking around me in a circle, he assesses my progress.

"Oh, really?"

"You're still off balance."

"What?! No I'm not!" Taiyang chuckles.

"Honestly, I'm kind of surprised." I lift my prosthetic arm, looking down at it with a smile.

"I thought it would be just this huge weight, but it feels... natural. They did a great job with this thing. Thank you Y/N for asking Ironwood."

Taiyang delivers a left hook right into my face. My upper body rears back both from impact and surprise. I'm ready to block his right hook, however, and use the turning momentum to deliver an elbow jab. Grinning the entire time, Taiyang blocks it and then dodges all the kicks I follow through with. I switch to punches, but Taiyang is too on point for me. While I use my left hand to block an elbow thrust, Taiyang has grasped my robotic arm and pulled it forward. The position puts me in the position of having my balance rely on the weight of one leg.

"I wasn't talking about your actual balance." He sweeps my forward leg, sending me onto the ground on my back. He leaves me there and walks over to Zwei, who happily gets the top towel for him. "Although, that could use some work too."

Taiyang takes the towel and gives Zwei a rub on the top of his head. Zwei hums happily.

Arms spread on the ground, I take a breath before speaking, "Meaning?"

Taiyang towels off his sweat.

"I saw your Tournament fight with the rest of your team at the Vytal Festival. While you did great, Y/N saw some issues and weaknesses with your fighting and has asked me to help you nullify them while you're here, explaining what your weaknesses were and your flaws when you spared with him in his dojo. His reasoning being that he was put in a position by Ozpin to make sure you succeed and that he will follow it to his last breath especially due to him... well..."

"Let me guess. He said I was sloppy?"

"No, no, you were predictable. And... stubborn. And... maybe a little boneheaded. You're lucky to have a friend who will tell you what he sees wrong and wants you to grow." I sit up and spin to stare at my father. "Do you realize that you use your Semblance to win every single fight you have?"