Chapter 36: Family

Oscar P.O.V.

I carry a pitchfork into the barn, which has loose bits of hay strung about the floor. I pass a sink with a mirror behind it, and something makes me pause and take a closer look. I see my own reflection and lift a lock of his hair, expecting something different.

He leans forward and examines the mirror more closely.

"Hello?"

Just as I'm about to back away, a voice booms out, sending me crashing backward.

"Hello! I'm Professor Ozpin!"

I look up at the sink and mirror from the floor of the barn, breathing heavily. From outside the barn, my aunt's voice calls out.

"Oscar? You be careful with those tools!"

============================================================

Yang P.O.V.

All around me are broken pieces of buildings and darkness. I look around, confused, and let out a small gasp when I look down. I raise both of my arms and turn them, examining their presence, particularly my right arm.

I look up from my arms to see Adam walking toward me. The red accents in his hair, mask and outfit have a surreal glow. I step back defensively and discover that I'm suddenly wearing Ember Celica. I blast Adam five times, but they do nothing to him while he steadily continues walking closer.

Adam puts his right hand on the handle of his sheathed sword. I try to attack him again, but my weapon is gone, as is my right arm. I stare for a moment in confusion and disbelief and then startle when Adam is abruptly directly before me. He grins at me and starts to unsheathe his chokutō.

I awaken with a gasp in my room, lying on top of my bed. The robotic arm given to me by Ironwood rests on my bedside table, out of the box. I look at it for a moment before turning my face away, then laughter coming from downstairs.

I head downstairs to discover Professor Port and Doctor Oobleck sitting at the kitchen table and laughing with Dad. There's a bowl of fruit at the center of the table.

Port heartily laughs.

"And, and, and then, in comes Qrow, wearing a skirt! I was just a TA, I-I didn't know what to do, so I just... I just left the room to laugh!"

I walk into the kitchen door while the three laugh. Dad places a hand on his gut.

"We told him it was a kilt! He'd never worn a uniform before, so he didn't know!" Oobleck smirks.

"That is terrible! What is wrong with you!?"

"Hey! The girls all said he had nice legs! I did that jerk a favor! Besides, that's not even the best part! See, then we-"

Port puts his right leg on the tabletop, cutting off Taiyang.

"Like what you see?" The three laugh and Port loses his balance. He tries to save himself from falling, but ends up on the floor. "Whoa-oh!"

There's even more laughter. Dad claps from mirth and Port joins in the hilarity from the floor. I giggle covering my mouth, but the they become alerted to my presence. Oobleck stands while Port gets up off the floor.

"Oh, uh, Miss Xiao Long! Uh, please, join us."

I enter while Oobleck laughs, a little bit embarrassed.

"Oh, yes, yes, pull up a chair. Please, pull up a chair."

"I'm good." I hoist myself backward up onto the kitchen counter, beside where her father stands. Port and Oobleck sit back down. "So, what are you doing here?"