Chapter twenty-eight - Fight

Começar do início

'I told you not to call me that!' The kid tried to look mad, but I could see the fun in his eyes.

I laughed and started eating. Out of sudden I felt two hands being pressed down on my shoulders. I flinched; sometimes I was a little jumpy, still because of Adam.

'Hey.' I recognized Newt's voice and let out a small, relieved sigh.

'Hey,' I replied. 'What's up?'

'Just gardenin', planting things and stuff.' Newt chuckled lightly and started eating. The sun lit up his blonde hair, making it look golden as his eyes twinkled. He looked just as beautiful as always. 'Enjoying the view?' Newt smirked.

'Very.' I replied with a grin.

'Well,' Chuck started, looking at the two of us, almost seeming disgusted. 'I better go do the dishes.' He walked away.

I gave Newt a glance and continued eating. We didn't talk about much interesting things, and soon I finished my food. I let out a sigh when I realized I had to go back to work.

'What's wrong?' Newt looked at me in confusion.

'My job is boring.' I complained.

'That's a pity.' Newt laughed. 'You have no choice. Everyone's gotta do their job.'

'Okay then.' I got up, still not satisfied. 'I'm gonna head off, bye.' I smiled lightly and walked away.

'Hey, Nora.' Jeff said once I sat down in the med-hut.

'Hey.' I said, leaning my head on my hand and waiting for someone to come in.

~

With another deep sigh I sat down across from Minho and Newt. Not a single patient walked in, and I was bored the whole day. I was ready for something more exciting to do, instead of being bored and doing nothing useful the whole day. Being a Runner still seemed cool to me, so I decided to ask Minho about it.

'So, uhm, Minho?' I asked.

'Yes?' He looked up from his food.

'I was wondering if- uhm- I could be a.. Runner?..' Not really knowing what to say I looked at the boy. Newt chocked on his food and looked at me in surprise.

'You can't just be a Runner, you have to be chosen.' Minho paused. 'And besides, you're a girl.'

'Excuse me?' I asked, very offended. 'I can't be a Runner because I'm a girl?'

'As I said, you have to be chosen.' Minho replied.

'How?' I asked, still offended.

'Well... First just need to prove you can do it. When we think you'll be able to be a Runner, we'll give you a training.' Minho explained.

'Okay.' I replied, a little more satisfied.

'You're joking right?' Newt looked at me. 'You don't actually want to be a Runner, do you?'

'I do.' I looked at him, not getting why he would think I was joking.

'Not gonna happen.' Newt immediately replied. 'You're not going into the maze!'

'I didn't even get a training and you're already saying I can't be one.' I raised my voice. 'Are you saying I'm too weak?'

'What? No! I just don't want you to go in there!' Newt yelled. I got up from my seat and so did Newt, we were standing across from each other, next to the table.

'Can't y'all safe the arguing for after the marriage?' Minho sighed. Me and Newt gave him a glance before turning to each other again.

'I want to go in there! Being a Med-jack is shuckin' boring!' I screamed at Newt.

'You don't even know what is out there!'

'Well, that's what I'm planning to find out!'

'You're not going in there!'

'You slintheads are drawing the whole Glade it's attention.' Minho rolled his eyes.

'Shut up, Minho!' Me and Newt yelled in unison.

'Nora, you are not going into the maze!' Newt repeated. I felt anger rise in my chest.

'If you tell me that I can't go into the maze one more time, I'll kick you somewhere you're not going to enjoy!' I screamed. A small chuckle escaped from Minho's mouth. Newt's face was full of anger as it turned bright red. I didn't know where it came from, but I was getting really angry. I knew I was hardly so angry as I was at that moment.

'I won't let you go in there!' Newt screamed again.

That was it. I kicked him right in the crotch and he immediately bend down. Groans escaped from his mouth as he murmured some things. Minho's mouth fell open in surprise.

'I warned you!' I yelled, before running off to my own hut madly.