Chapter twenty-four - Confessions

Start from the beginning

'About earlier..' Newt started and I immediately started panicking. Didn't he like it? Doesn't he like me? Did I force him into this?

'I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I should've never kissed you. It was stupid. I don't want you to feel awkward now.' I started talking really fast, worried he didn't want to be friends anymore.

'Nora.' Newt moved in front of me.

'You probably felt pressured to do it. I get it if you don't want to be friends anymore.' I continued talking like crazy.

'Nora.' Newt repeated as he cupped my face.

'I just wanted to say sorry and hope you still wanted to be-'

Newt interrupted me by pressing his lips onto mine. For a second I was shocked, but then kissed back. Automatically my eyes closed and my heart started beating faster. I slid my hand in Newt's hair again. I had a warm, tickly feeling in my stomach.

Slowly Newt let go off me and took a small breath. 'I like you, Nora. Really. I'm in love with you.'

My breath hitched as Newt waited for me to response. 'I'm in love with you too.' I blushed. Newt smiled and leaned in to kiss me again.

~

Hand in hand me and Newt walked trough the Glade. Almost everyone was asleep or in the Homestead, so we were all alone.

'You know the Box is coming up tomorrow?' Newt asked.

'So I've been here a month already?' I asked surprised.

'Yeah.' Newt replied. 'So it only took me one month to fall in love with you.'

I smiled and blushed lightly. 'I can say the same thing about you.'

Newt smiled too and firmly held my hand, while I yawned a little.

'You wanna go to sleep?' Newt noticed it.

'No.' I shook my head.

'Why not? You're tired.' Newt replied. 'Come on.' Newt lead me towards my hut. He turned around, so I could put on my pyjamas.

'You know, even though the Box will send me up new clothes, I might just keep wearing yours.' I said before Newt turned around.

'Why?' Newt laughed a little. 'They're way too big for you, love.'

'They're comfortable, nice and they smell good.' I replied while lying down. Newt laid down too and faced me.

'Good night, love.'

'Good night, lizard.' I replied.

'Hey!' Newt quietly said.

'What? You call me love and I call you lizard.' I giggled lightly.

'Love is a nice thing. It's something British, or as you like to call it 'my hot accent'. Lizard isn't nice.'

'Mhm. You've got a point.' I looked in Newt's brown eyes. 'But what else am I supposed to call you?'

'You don't have to call me anything specific, love.' Newt laughed.

'I'll keep that in mind.' I smiled.

'Hey, lovebirds! Slim it! I can't sleep because of your whispering!' I recognized Minho's voice coming from the door.

I let out another small giggle and Newt smiled. He pulled me closer to him and I buried my head in his chest. Slowly I drifted off to sleep.

~

Weeks after the Crank pits the kids were still traumatized. Nora couldn't get the woman off her mind. Exhausted the kids met each other in the middle of the night. Chuck was with them and he didn't understand what was going on.

'I can't stop thinking about it. It's just horrible.' Nora said. They were sitting in Thomas's room. All of them sat in a circle on the ground.

'We're not going out there again.' Newt replied as he grabbed Nora's hand.

'I want to escape this place.' Minho sighed.

'How?' Alby asked.

'You can't get out of here.' Teresa commented. 'Everything's being monitored.'

'I met a kid, Gally. He knows a way.' Minho said.

'I don't like the idea of escaping.' Nora said. They all agreed except for Minho.

'I don't know 'bout you guys, but I'm going. Gally's gonna come over tomorrow night, so you better be there too. We'll explain the plan and the next night we're gonna escape.' Minho explained.

'I don't know, Minho.' Newt answered, unsure about the idea.

'We'll just see what this Gally kid has to say.' Thomas said.