Chapter 31

Here's a long one to make up for the fact I've been gone for so long!

 Excuse any grammatical errors.

- Simone <3

"Levi," I called out as I walked inside the apartment with a smile on my face, holding the dress I would be wearing at Carter's wedding.

Today was the day we went shopping for dresses and it couldn't have gone more perfectly. I met the rest of the bridesmaids, Hitch and Annie, who were both very nice, though Annie was kind of quiet most of the time. I loved getting to know both of them, and picking out dresses was fun.

Carter told us that the style of our dresses didn't matter as long as they were the same color: light green.

Of course, Levi was right about the color she picked.

The dress I got was strapless with a low back and flowed to the floor. I fell in love with it as soon as I tried it on.

With the help of a wedding planner, Carter and Reiner had everything coming into place. The location of the wedding, the reception, the food, the photographer, the decorations, essentially everything for the wedding had been done. Because the wedding party is so small, the couple decided we could practice walking up the aisle with our partners the day before the ceremony. Which worked out since Carter and Michelle would be sleeping over while Reiner was with his friends the night before their big day.

She told me I would be walking with a guy named Porco, whom I would officially meet soon at dinner. Carter suggested we all go out to eat just so we could get to know each other. Well, it would be me getting to know them as Hitch and Annie know everyone in the wedding party already, besides Michelle who was a last-minute addition.

Being her maid of honor was simple and I was extremely grateful for that. She didn't want a bachelorette party, she and Reiner didn't want a bridal shower or anything like that. They told guests to bring gifts to the reception and there would be a table where they would go. I guess the sleepover could count as a bachelorette party, but without strippers and the rest of the bridal party.

Realizing that Levi didn't answer me, I set the dress down on the back of the couch and stood there to listen.

Silence.

Absolute silence.

Quietly, I took off my things and made my way to his office. The door was slightly cracked open as I peeked inside to see that he wasn't there. I rose an eyebrow because if he wasn't here then where was he?

He hadn't let me know he was leaving and it was three in the afternoon so I knew he wasn't in bed, but I went to check anyways with my guard slightly up.

"Levi," I said again to get no response.

I walked into our bedroom to see him sitting up in bed on top of the covers with a tear-stained face and a tissue in his hands. He quickly looked away from me to hide his face as I sighed in relief.

He cleared his throat as he wiped his face. "I didn't hear you come in."

I glanced down at his lap to see he was looking at something before I walked in. "It's okay. I'm sorry I interrupted. You didn't answer me so I got worried."

"You... didn't interrupt me. I was just...," Levi sighed and eventually turned his head to look at me. "Come here."

His tone wasn't demanding, instead, it was a plea.