Chapter 24

"Levi."

"Hi, Ma." He placed a kiss on her cheek as he entered her house and walked past her with the help of his cane.

"I didn't know you were coming, sweetie. I would've made us something. Did Erwin drop you off?" She asked as she wrapped her silk robe around her body tightly to shield herself from the cold.

"Don't worry about it and yes. We just had dinner with Hanji."

Kuchel waved to Erwin, well Erwin's driver, who backed out of her driveway as she closed her front door. She followed Levi who had sat down in his usual seat at the kitchen table, his coat over the back of his chair.

"Would you like something to drink?"

"No thanks," he replied, a little too fast.

Kuchel raised an eyebrow at her son, sat next to him, and took a sip of her tea. "Using your cane today?"

Levi gave a short nod. "Mae said I should alternate using it and the chair so...," he trailed off and stayed silent.

Clearly, something was bothering him, but Kuchel didn't want to press the issue just yet so she nodded and smiled at him. "I'm proud of you. I know going back wasn't something you wanted to do."

"Thanks, Ma." Levi truly meant it, even if it sounded like he didn't.

"Ash is still taking you to your appointments?"

Levi froze momentarily at the mention of her name and tried to play it off. "Yeah."

Kuchel narrowed her eyes at her son after seeing his reaction to Ash's name. "So why the sudden visit?"

"No reason."

"Levi you can't lie to me," his mother smiled and set down her cup as she placed a hand on his. "What's going on?"

Levi looked away from her, his cheeks and ears already red in embarrassment. "Ash... went on a date tonight."

"Oh? With who?"

"One of her classmates, Danni, and I'm..."

Jealous. Upset. Pissed off.

"You haven't told her how you felt?"

Levi slumped a little in defeat. "No."

"Why not honey? What's stopping you?"

He took a deep breath and looked at his mother. "So many things. I'm... scared... of being rejected and what if... she does feel the same way, but then something happens to her? I can't help her. I can't protect her... like I'm supposed to, but Danni can... and Ma I can't... I don't look..."

Kuchel felt her heartache as she looked at her son trying to tell her what was going on. He was doing the best he could, but she knew he was becoming frustrated. Kuchel squeezed his hand that still rested on top of his. "Oh Levi," she cooed, "do you really think Ash doesn't feel the same way as you?"

He shrugged. "I don't know."

Kuchel figured he would say that. "She loves you so much and has for a long time I think."

"How do you know?"

Now that Ash was on a date, Levi felt even more insecure than he already was. Danni was the complete opposite of him. Tall, attractive, good with people, had a nice head of hair, approachable...

Not injured.

Like he told his mom, Danni could protect Ash if she was ever in trouble. Of course, he knows Ash can handle her own, but what about the times when she can't? Danni could help. He could keep her safe, unlike Levi.