Chapter 26

Trigger warning: mentions of miscarriages

"Ash you made it," my mom beamed as she opened the door. "Chile you done started school and got a boyfriend? He's handsome!"

I rolled my eyes as we entered her house. "Momma this is Levi. Levi this is my mom Tasha."

She smiled as she hugged me. "Ohh so this is who you spent the New Year with." My mom let me go and looked at Levi who was standing slightly behind me. She took our coats and held them in her arms. "I'm happy I can finally put a name to a face."

"Likewise," he replied giving her a small nod.

"Where is everyone?" I asked my mom as I looked around and didn't see any decorations. I handed her the gift for Nelly so she could put it with the others.

"We're in the living room since it's bigger. Everything is set up down there."

I nodded and said nothing, as I played with the ring on my middle finger.

I can do this. I can do this.

My mom placed a hand on my shoulder and squeezed. "You know you can leave whenever you want to baby. Stay for as long as you can."

I gave her a smile that didn't reach my eyes. "I know. Thank you."

My mom sighed and tried to lighten the mood as she moved away from me. "Well make yourselves at home. Take your shoes off, come sit down and relax. We were just about to play another game and then open gifts."

She walked back to the living room leaving me and Levi by the door. I helped him take off his shoes, making sure he was okay with his cane. I removed my shoes as well and took a deep breath.

"Just like your mom said we can leave whenever you're ready," Levi said causing me to look at him. His eyes look back and forth between my own.

I nodded again, not able to find words right now. My feet felt like I was walking through cement as I made my way toward the living room. I could hear laughing and some music playing in the background.

I stood in the entryway looking around to see the pink decorations that scattered my mom's living room. The baby shower was zoo themed with pink accents.

Everyone looked so happy until they saw me standing there. A few people seemed shocked that I actually showed up. Others gave me a look of sympathy and apology. I could already hear the whispers as Levi stood by my side.

"Auntie Ash!"

I put on a smile quickly, picking up my goddaughter in my arms. I kissed her on the cheek. "How are you, Journey? You've gotten so big."

She looked just like her mom. Her hair was in two puffs that sat on the top of her head and she wore a colorful shirt with overalls.

Journey smiled back at me, showcasing her missing two front teeth. "I'm good how are you?"

If there was anyone that could make me feel better it was her.

"I'm doing just fine sweetie thank you."

"Auntie Ash, who's this?" Journey asked looking at Levi.

"This is Levi, a very good friend of mine. Levi, this is my goddaughter, Journey," I introduced as I looked between the two of them.