29.

Onyx's Pov-

I had to make sure everything was perfect. I wanted to take her out for lunch and then spend the day at the rolling rink. Imagine my shock when she told me she's never been to the rolling rink before. I promise her that I'll take her one day and today was the perfect day. 

I had some presents prepared for her and I just wanted the day to be with us. Especially since Dad planned a dinner with all her closest friends which I wasn't happy about but I didn't object since I knew Maya would love that.

I walk downstairs with my gift in hand. Dad was finishing cleaning the kitchen after making a cake and cupcake for Maya's birthday dinner tonight. 

"Lori just texted to let us know Maya's on her way," Dad said removing the apron from around his waist. He grins and places the apron on the table. "Is that the gift you got for Maya?" He asked looking at the small wrapped box in my hands. I hide behind my back a little self-conscious about the gift. I wasn't sure if she'll like it but knowing Maya she'll enjoy anything that I gifted her. 

I nod my head slowly and watch dad's reaction. 

"That's very thoughtful of you, Onyx," He said checking inside the oven. "I can't remember when you ever bought Kelly a birthday gift before. This probably you're the first time you've ever bought anyone a gift ever."

I shrug and place the gift next to dad's present. "She's special and I want her to know that."

Dad smiles and nods his head. "Well I need to finish some work but if you leave be home by 9, please," He said grabbing his keys and his coat. "Oh and please take out the rest of the cupcakes in 15 minutes." He grins at me one last time before exiting the house. 

I sigh and walk upstairs. I look at myself in the mirror and make faces. I wanted to look good for Maya. It was her special day and she deserves someone that looked worthy around her. 

I fix my hair for the longest time until I hear the front door open. My eyes widen and I rush downstairs to see Lori removing her jacket. She smiles at me and places it on the couch. I look around her for Maya but I don't see her anywhere.

I frown and look over at Lori.

"Where's Maya?" I asked her. She rolls her eyes and tucks some hair behind her ear. "Don't worry, your pretty girlfriend is coming she needed to tie her shoes," Lori said walking into the kitchen. I sigh in relief and watch Lori walk over to the stove. "Hey, can you take the cupcakes out of the oven while you're in there, please," I called after her. She mumbles something but I hear to oven open so I knew she did it. 

I was about to say something was stopped when the front door opened again.

I turn to look and my eyes widen when I see Maya. She looked different but the same at the same time. She was outstandingly beautiful with long hair. I will miss her short hair but this was lovely on her. She was the most beautiful woman before and even more now. I couldn't take my eyes off her as she stood there shyly. I didn't know where to look at her beautiful face or her beautiful new do. I was completely speechless. 

We just stand there for the longest time as I look at her and she looks at her feet. It wasn't an awkward silence but more silence of me soaking in her beauty and her standing like the goddess statue that she is. A beautiful piece of art that she is. 

"If you two don't say something already," Lori said breaking the silence. "Compliment her already dammit," She said rolling her eyes at me as she took a sip from her water bottle. 

I cleared my throat and turned to look at Maya who was staring at me with a shy smile. Her braces were barely on show but as she puffed out her already chubby cheeks. I chuckle and shake my head at her adorableness. No woman could be that adorable but she proved me wrong.