4.

I close my locker door and lift my bookbag on my shoulder and start making my way out of the building. I place my earphones in my ear and press my playlist. I pull my hood over my unruly curls before walking down the street toward my home.

I hum along to one of my favorite songs by the weekend. I close my eyes for a second and bob my head along to the music. 

I was so deep in the music that I bumped into a person. I gasp and fall backward onto my butt. I bounce a bit before landing on the ground. I groan and bite my lip. I look up at the person I bumped into and my eyes widen when they connect with a pair of beautiful blue ones. 

He looked angry as he stared down at me. And before I could say anything he mumbles an apology before walking past me quickly. 

I stare at his retreating figure in confusion. I shake my head before standing up. Maybe he didn't recognize me. I did have a hoodie covering my head. I shrug my shoulders and dust myself off and continue on my way with a skip in my steps. 

When I make it to the apartment complex I stare up at it with furrowed eyebrows. I didn't want to go inside. I look around the parking lot for my grandfather's truck. He had gifted it to Jackson right before his death. My grandfather loved Jackson, he had never seen the real side of him. Jackson always acted like the perfect husband and father in front of my grandfather. My grandfather fought in the military before so Jackson had respect for him.

I loved my grandfather but hated how he was blinded sided to Jackson. But rest his kind soul. 

I didn't see the red truck in the parking lot so I sighed in relief. I walk inside the lobby and look around. I see the little old lady that lived on the floor just below us. She always had her tiny Yorkie dog with her. She was very nice but very strict. I didn't like trick or treating at her house since she only gave out butterscotch candy which wasn't good.

"Hello, Ms.Meller?" I said getting the woman's attention. The short woman with a scarf wrapped around her head turns to me. "Hello, Mia," She said. "How are you?" I giggle at the name she calls me even though I've corrected her hundreds of times. "I'm fine, Ms.Meller," I said stepping closer to her. She had her mail and some bags in her hands. "Are you doing some shopping?" I asked her. Ms.Meller looks at the bags and nods. "Yes, my daughter-in-law is bringing the children over to visit. I'm making my special apple pie for them. They sure love it" 

I nod my head in agreement. 

I also liked her special apple pie. I never had a grandmother since my mom's mother left her and my grandfather when my mom was very small. She's only ever sent my mom, Andrew, and I birthday cards. That's why I only knew her name. But my mom refuses to acknowledge the woman so I don't anything about her. So Ms.Meller was the replacement since I also didn't know my paternal grandparents. 

"Well it's nice seeing you, Ms.Meller," I said. She waves goodbye to me as I walk up the 5 flights of stairs. 

I hated this old apartment complex. The freaking elevator hasn't worked in 3 years and no one has tried to fix it. Sometimes the hot water will stop working for some time before turning back on randomly one day. The walls smelt damp and I'm sure they're is mold covering the walls. It wasn't somewhere anyone should be living. But the rent was affordable since the landlord would sometime forget to collect the rent. But the landlord worked in a much nicer apartment complex where he spent most of his time and would push this one to the back of his mind.

Once I reach my floor I walk to my door and twist the doorknob. It was always unlocked since Jackson broke the lock once trying to get in and he never fixed it back. 

I push open the door and look around. It was quiet except for the sound of the dripping faucet. I close the door behind me and walk to my room. I close the door behind me and throw my bag on my bed. I remove my jacket and throw it on my chair. I remove the rubberband from my hair and ruffle it up.