7.

I wake feeling better and refreshed. My body still aches a little but not as much as last night. I rub my bruised jaw and look beside me. Onyx lay there with his arm draped around my waist and his soft but loud snores filled the room. 

I looked at the time and was glad it was only 5:12 in the morning. I quietly get up and run my fingers through my tangled hair. I slowly walk over to my bedroom door and quietly open it. I look next door and could hear Jackson's loud ugly snore. I sigh in relief before walking back to where Onyx was. 

I sit down on my knees next to him. I gently try and shake him awake. He groans and rolls to his side. I giggle and shake him again a little more harsher. He groans again and slowly opens his eyes. His blue eyes make contact with mine and he smirks. "Good morning sunshine," He whispers. He sits up and runs his hand through his hair. 

"What time is it?" He asked. 

I shrug my shoulders and stand up straight. "It's 5 something and that means Mom will be waking up soon," I said grabbing his arm and trying to pull him up. He chuckles and stands up. He towers over me and stretches his arms above his head. "I'm not comfortable leaving you here by yourself," He said staring at me. I smile and play with my fingers. "I won't be here long," I said. "I have to be at school at 7:30." 

He tilts his head and looks at me. "You're in school?" He asked. I nod my head and walk over to my drawer. I open the top drawer and look through my clothes. "I'm a senior," I said smiling down at the shirt I picked up. "I'll graduate this year hopefully."

He looks at me for a long time until I start to feel uncomfortable with him staring for a long time. "What?" I asked him. He looks me over and grins. "How old are you?" He asked with furrowed eyebrows. "17," I said as it was the most obvious answer in the world. "But I'll be 18 in January," I said looking at the times with widened eyes. 

"You have to go before mom wakes up," I said rushing to grab his arms. 

He shakes his head. "I don't trust that man," He said gently removing his arms from my hands. "Well, how about you wait outside for me and If I don't come out by 7:15 then come back and rescue me," I said grabbing his arm again and pulling him out of my bedroom. I look over to mom and Jackson's room before hurriedly pulling Onyx to the front door. Once there I open the door and push him. "I'll be outside and if you're any later than 7:15 I'm coming in here and hurting that fucking bad excuse of a man." 

I nod my head and quickly shut the door when I hear their bedroom door open. 

Mom walks into the kitchen with a scarf wrapped around her head and in a robe. She glances at me questionably. "What are you doing, Maya?" She asked. I shake my head and try to smile at her. "Nothing mama," I said. She rolls her eyes. "Well get your lazy ass away from the door and make some damn breakfast," She said. 

I look down at my shoes and nod my head.

I walk over to the kitchen and grab some Eggo waffles. I open the frozen waffles and place them in the toasters. I turn on the toaster and walk away from it. I grab some eggs and begin to make some scrabble eggs on the stove. I begin cooking before Jackson could wake up. 

Mom walks over to the coffee maker and makes her coffee. She looks at me with her cold dark eyes and grins. "Pretty thing," She said getting my attention. I look at her and smile. "Yes, mama?" I asked her. "Put some pineapple as my side," She said. She walks closer to me and cups my bruise jaw. I try not to flinch at the contact. She examines it closely and shakes her head with a chuckle. "He hit you good," She mumbles. She looks down at the stove and I try to hide the tears that were forming. "Don't burn those you wouldn't want another bruise on that pretty little face on yours."