26.

It's been four days and I haven't spoken to Onyx. He's been locked in his room and won't come out unless he to go the bathroom or to let me in at night. Any other time he shuts me away and won't speak to me. 

So today after Aaron picked me up from school we decided to stop by the grocery store. I wanted to make something for him. I was thinking of some chocolate cupcakes since I remember asking if he liked them and he responded yes. They weren't the best flavor cupcakes but Onyx likes them so I'm going to make them. 

Aaron and I walk over to the cake mix aisle in silence. It's just been us for the past couple of days. It's been ok but I miss my conversations with Onyx. Now all I get from him are goodnight kisses before he turns away and falls asleep. The kisses are very short and I don't enjoy them since they seem like he's forced to do it instead of having feeling behind them. It makes me sad but at least I get something.

"Your birthday is coming up pretty soon, Maya," Aaron said looking at me as I pick up a few boxes of cake mixture. I nod my head and smile at him. "Are you planning on doing anything for that day?" He asked me. I look over at him and furrow my brows. "No," I said. "I don't normally celebrate my birthdays so why start now?" I asked him. "You like red velvet cake right?" I asked holding up a box of red velvet cake mix.

"Wait you never celebrated your birthday?" Aaron asked. I shake my head and look up in thought. "Well, my grandfather would sometimes take me out to eat every day before my birthday and sometimes spend the morning of my birthday with me. But I've never had a proper party or actually celebrated it."

I look up at Aaron who had a shocked expression on his face.

"Like never?" He asked me. I shake my head with a shrug. "It's fine," I whisper knowing deep down I always wanted to celebrate my birthday. Parties were a luxury for us and I never got that luxury before. I've never even been to a party before. No one has ever wanted to invite the weird nappy hair kid that smelt like cheap perfume all the time. But I couldn't tell Aaron that. It'll make him feel bad for me and I didn't want that. 

"Let's get some flowers," I said grabbing onto Aaron's hand. I pull him toward the flower section since I wanted to buy Onyx some. Since whenever he wanted to cheer me up he'll buy me my favorite flower, Daisies. Then I freeze at the stop.

"What's wrong, Maya?" Aaron asked looking at me. I turn to look at him with furrowed eyebrows. "What is Onyx's favorite flower?" I asked Aaron. Aaron's lips start to turn up in a smile before he starts to chuckle lightly. He places his hand over his mouth and turns away for a second. "That's adorable, Maya," He said looking back at me and swallowing his laughter. 

I frown and look at him confused. 

"I don't think he has one," He said looking down at me. I bite my lip in thought and scratch my chin. "I'll buy him sunflowers since his background on his computer is sunflowers for some reason," I said smiling up at Aaron and pulling him towards the flowers. 

After shopping for an hour or two we finally go home. 

I walk inside the house to quietness. I knew Onyx was home because his car was outside so I didn't need to freak out about that. I walk over to the kitchen and place the bags that I had in my hands on the counter. 

I start to dig around and grab the cake mix. I quickly start to begin making Onyx's cakes. 

After an hour I had everything prepared. I made chocolate cupcakes for Onyx with white frosting and some herbal tea since he hasn't been feeling well. I also arrange for him a bouquet of flowers and bought him a small gift. I had Aaron pay for this stuff for me with the promise I'll get myself a job and pay him back one day.